What are the odds that a tempered glass tv stand will shatter?

Glass fits the look I am going for as wood...well I know bugs like wood so I don't want wood..also brown is meh to me especially cherry. But I will go painted wood etc if need be. What are the odds that a tempered glass tv stand shatter? I am afraid to have this in the fun room if it could possible shatter with my kids in the room.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best Answer

Tempered glass takes some doing to break. And even then, when it does break, it turns into little square cubes, not long dangerous dagger-like glass shards. I accidentally broke a tempered glass refrigerator shelf when I was cleaning it. I caused it to hit the faucet in the sink, a half a second later my hands were empty and the sink was full of small cubes of glass. Very hard to get cut by shattered glass.

So, what are the odds, you ask? Well, that depends on the risk factors. If there is high risk activity in the room, I would think the odds of the glass breaking is less than the television screen getting cracked. I really would not worry about it.

You do not have to worry about bugs eating a TV stand unless you have termites, in which case a TV stand would be the least of your troubles as wood eating insects can damage the structure of your house before they will begin chomping on your furniture.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tempered glass is about four times tougher than untreated glass. When it does break, which takes some doing, it forms small granules which is much safer than large shards. So stop worrying. It's probable that you already have it in glazed doors and low level windows.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

For the record: in order for bugs to get into the wood, they need to get into your house. If you don't already have bugs, having wood furnishings won't spontaneously cause them to appear.

The kind of glass provided for tables and counters is considerably stronger than mere window panes; it should bear up under the weight of a new, flat screen TV with no difficulty - even the big ones don't weigh much.

All of that said, could it shatter with kids in the room: yes. Could it shatter without kids: maybe. While tempered glass is very tough across its face, it is VERY susceptible to shocks at its edges. One good whack on the edge with something solid and there goes not just the table, but the TV too - possibly on top of your kid.

If you like the aesthetic of a clear glass support for your TV, would a wall mount be even better? That's even more minimalist than the glass top.

Good luck with it.

[edit]

"Just answer the question next time," okay, I'll play.

"What are the odds?" Can't begin to guess. How clumsy are you? How likely are you to randomly trip and fall into something? How likely are your kids - do you have kids? - to knock into a piece of furniture?

You want us to give you the odds, you need to provide a lot more information. Since the question you are actually asking - go back and read it - is looking for a probability, I can give only this response:

There is 100% probability that your glass TV stand will shatter. It will either happen while you own it, as you discard it, or at some point during the recycling process (if you are as conscientious as that) or as it is being dumped into the landfill (if you aren't).

This is exactly answering the only question you actually wrote down. If this displeases you somehow, whose fault is that? Meanwhile, go back and reread the answer I gave before, it does answer the question you intended. If you didn't take up that information, again I say: whose fault is that?

If the community on Y!A doesn't meet with your expectations and Quora does but you become dissatisfied with an answer you receive here, whose fault is that?

It seems to me that the common denominator in all these failings is you.

Good luck with it.

• Hakuouki2 months agoReport

^^^ Biggest issues on this site and the reason why Quora is winning. People assume they know everything behind the question, or they simply don't even read but because they are so defensive they jump to a response.

• 2 months ago

If you think the kids will bang toys on the glass or in any other way play around on the table or throw something then go with wood. If you do get a tv table, any type, be sure it extends out past the sides of the tv, that is wider by at lest 3 inches on each side. A common problem with kids and tvs is they accidentally bump the side of a tv extending out past the table and it falls and get damaged. If no one will mess with the glass, its fine and and won't be a problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Your windows are more likely to shatter than a tempered glass tabletop.

But if it does shatter it won't damage the kids, since tempered glass does not break into sharp shards, but into little harmless cubes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.