Was it rudely blunt when a pharmacist wished me good luck with prescribed weight loss tablets?

I was prescribed weight loss tablets by my doctor and went to the chemist today to collect them.

After talking with the top pharmacist about possible side effects and health issues, I went to the service counter to buy the tablets.

Another pharmacist was assigned to serve me at the last minute, and did the payment transaction.

She took one look at the med box then turned to me and said: "I hope these will work for you" before I paid and left.

Immediately, I was surprised by what she said - that she can see I had a weight problem without me mentioning it, and she hoped my weight problem will be solved with the tablets. And we've never seen each other before, she took one look at me and said that.

Now I'm not one of those annoying people who throw fits when their weight is mentioned then goes to a burger place and eat all they want and terrorise everybody with ignorance. I'm much more sophisticated than that.

I just thought the pharmacist was blunt, as she doesn't know me and it sounds like my weight issue is noticeable. I felt embarrassed and shocked to say the least.

Maybe I'm overreacting. But between two strangers, some things are best not said.

• Jon
    Favorite Answer

As a pharmacist myself, I am going to explain this from my perspective. As pharmacists we are trained to be drug therapy experts. You mentioned that the pharmacist looked at the med box. As an expert the pharmacist is going to immediately know what the medication is prescribed to treat. She had no reason to look at you to make an assessment about your weight. She simply knew by looking at your medication. Instead of thinking she took one look at me and said that, think, she looked at the medication and knows exactly what it is used for.

I can almost guarantee you that she was being genuine, and likely has no idea that she even offended you.

• Cammie

No, you are not over reacting.No one, including a pharmacist has the right to fat shame you.

As far as what to do, i would let it drop.If it comes up again, tell said person that it is not their concern.

• Robert

You are right in that she should not have said anything, but it probably was just a friendly gesture honestly wishing you success. So you probably should have overlooked it or spoken softly with a supervisor explaining that it made you uncomfortable because in today's society no one seem capable of living life with the slightest infraction being overlooked.

No. Really controlling our diet in a crave control thing you need to wait out and realize like any craving and habit, urges will happen and you have to want to fight them not give in. But really only eat when u feel like the food will give u supplemental energy.

Not cure Bordem or tickle taste buds

• Mark

<Maybe I'm overreacting

Yes, you are. Why would your doctor prescribe weight-loss pills (which are "speed", by the way) if you weren't overweight?