Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 5 months ago

If I only played 2 minutes of an 90 minute soccer game do you think it’s time to leave the team?

For every single game I’ve played, that I’ve traveled over an hour to get to, I’ve only played a total of about 2 minutes. I work hard at practices and give it my all, but I don’t seem to live up to my coaches standards, should in stick with it until the season is over or just leave the team now? I play soccer with a club and I run varsity cross country at school. I’m in 9th grade.

Playing is fun, sitting on the bench is not. However, if you are being coached, you can still learn a lot during practice. What you learn may come in handy in the future. Leave the game if you are no longer interested in playing or you do not think you will ever be good enough, not because you don't get into a game.

Soccer is a team game. Coaches may pick players based on what he needs. For example, if he needs more defense, he may not put in as many forwards or if he needs scoring or playmaking then he may pick players who are good at those skills.

Talk to your coach, or if you feel uncomfortable with that get your parents to. Tell him what you told us. It is highly unfair if it is true that you are putting in hard work at practice and the coach only gives you two minutes of playing time. Especially at your level, it should be more about participation than winning at all costs. It's not a pro team. You shouldn't have to quit. In my opinion you have earned your playing time by training hard and practicing well.

• .

It depends on how you compare in age to your teammates. My oldest son, when he was a high school sophomore, played an average of a couple minutes per game on varsity. But he was just 15 years old. His next year, he played the full game every time (even when he asked for a sub, the coach refused).

As you know, traveling teams are competitive. Equal playing time never happens.

• Lôn

Yes.."tell them that unless you get more playing time, you will leave. You will then find out if you fit into their plans.