When greasing a drive shaft, should you really keep pumping grease into the fittings until you see grease oozing out?

I have heard mechanic techs tell me that they think that would cause the seals to go bad, but I have read in BOTH my owners manual and the Chilton and Haynes manuals that they say to keep pumping grease into the fitting until you see grease oozing out around the u-joints. but why there is this "hear say"... show more I have heard mechanic techs tell me that they think that would cause the seals to go bad, but I have read in BOTH my owners manual and the Chilton and Haynes manuals that they say to keep pumping grease into the fitting until you see grease oozing out around the u-joints. but why there is this "hear say" that you just pump enough into it to hear a slight noise and then stop?