How much longer till we see more affordable electric cars?

How much longer do you think it will be befor we see more afortable cars on the market that the average person can afford ? Obama said he wanted to have a lot of electric cars on the road by 2014 but that never happened. I cant wait for the day when gas stations get rid of their gas pumps and replace them with charging stations for electric cars.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Till now electric cars have been coming from small companies, like Tesla, who make high end vehicles in relatively small numbers, these cost over 100,000. It will take a large car maker building in true mass production to bring lower prices. That is starting to happen hyundai have several models now on sale, VW plan to go electric within two years, many other car makers are also now moving towards all electric.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/electric-cars-t...

Time scales vary but seem to be 2022-25, Volvo plan to have half their car sales electric, VW are planning on going completely electric.

• John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Innovation is a constant so you're doomed to see electric cars around for your duration.

• electric cars mostly run on coal, because 75% of electricity comes from burning coal...what were these people thinking?...of course, many power generating municipalities are switching over to natural gas, which is also fossil fuel...so, what is the point?

• 3 months ago

Price has never been a problem. The problem with electric vehicles is always their range.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

We need to do more research on better batteries or capacitors. They cost of the current battery is quite high.

• 3 months ago

There are plenty out there, just not in USA. Same reason European and Asian and 1990's American cars can get 20 mpg better then cars made today. $$$$

• 3 months ago

You will not see the removal of gas pumps in your lifetime, although electric charging stations will pop up. I have had an electric car for four years and I have never used a public charging station. I expect a variety of electric cars to come out in the next year or two. I will probably buy another one.

• 3 months ago

When charging infrastructure gets well developed-it should allow for quickly recharging even big size battery of huge number of electric cars anytime anywhere in the world and the capital investment has to come down.

• 3 months ago

The chargers are pretty much there.... Maybe a bit over a decade if they get on with it.

• 3 months ago

Hopefully another 20 years. I like my car to make noise and I work on an oil rig though..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.