Why do non-lgbt people mistake lgbt awareness from asking for special rights or attention seeking?

I think they only have those things everywhere because they want to be inclusive with all types of genders and communities. These non lgbt people are only bothered and threatened by their presence because the opposite thing actually happens in real life (they oppress lgbt people inside and outside their minds)

Also the straights are bothered that the straight lifestyle status quo is being changed or (to their fears) wiped out

Favorite Answer

For millennia, straight white cis-gender males have been in positions of entitlement denying all others (at least in the western world) these equality (and that includes women). Today, all kinds of "others" are beginning to make inroads. The biggest threat of all to this feeling of being entitled came when a Black family moved into the White House in the U.S. Suddenly, the "others" were seen to be moving up and those who used to hold positions saw themselves threatened. Well, such is progress. They don't like being threatened and gay pride parades and other forms of celebration of formerly discriminated groups really raise the threat level. Of course they have all kinds of rationales including Bible quotes and so-called religious beliefs. In reality, their day is done.

Point of personal disclosure: I am a cis-gender gay white man. I have benefitted from my male and white birth and for a long time, managed to pass as heterosexual. I think I speak from a position of knowledge.

Those who say that crap are the real ones seeking attention.

Because privilege brings with it the luxury of being able to be oblivious of that privilege.

Don’t have your only opinions about this be from the trolls in this board. Most people are pretty tolerant of us, the extreme trolls here represent the far right thinking.

This is why coming out is important. Its how we educate those around us. In your daily life - as you are - you show people that we are normal people who pay taxes and have families like everyone else.