Mimi asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 3 months ago

Microsoft did a update changed my WordPad docs to Word docs. I don't have Word and want the use of editing documents I created. How to fix?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    3 months ago

Microsoft cannot change files. Wordpad docs CAN open with Word.

to open with Wordpad, right-click a file, Choose Open With, choose the bottom option "Choose Default"

click Wordpad on the list and check the box at bottom to ALWAYS open with it.

click OK.

• Mimi3 months agoReport

Thanks to you all! I agree, though I am a Word fan. Amazing...something so simple can turn into a subscription service, what a pathetic joke. When I got my last update, opening any Wordpad file now opened in Word instead, with the warnings that Word's subscription has expired. Thank you!

• 3 months ago

Plain and simple......download Libre Office and forget about Word and Wordpad.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I second Lord Bacon. I have both Libre Office and Open Office and they can edit Word documents just fine. Both mimic older versions of Word that are more than adequate for virtually all purposes I need. Like Word, each has its quirks, which is why I have both.

• 3 months ago

Try an open source word processor. I use WPS, which lacks some of the proprietary fonts Word has, but that's only a minor issue.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

You could download and install the FREE office suite 'Open Office' or a very similar one "Libre Office". They can both read and write WORD documents. In fact, they can read and write virtually ANY formats for documents or spreadsheets and more.

Here are links:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mir...

https://www.libreoffice.org/

These are big 'office suites' that have at least the same functionality as Microsoft Office but they are FREE open source programs with a long track record of safety and reliability.

• Fred
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

OpenOffice has not been open source for years- at least since Apache bought it. LibreOffice is and always has been open source even though its origin was OpenOffice which was open source at that time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.