How to introduce new cat to the home and the dog?

Yesterday I got an adult cat. I already have an older dog. I'm not worried about the dog. The dog is great and loves cats. The dog is also small, only a little bit bigger than the cat. When I moved house before I moved with the dog and there were 2 cats already living there. My dog almost instantly fell in... show more Yesterday I got an adult cat. I already have an older dog. I'm not worried about the dog. The dog is great and loves cats. The dog is also small, only a little bit bigger than the cat.

When I moved house before I moved with the dog and there were 2 cats already living there. My dog almost instantly fell in love with them. The cats took longer. But the introduction was easier back then because the dog lived outside and came inside sometimes and the cats lived inside. The cats could see the dog outside through the glass too. Eventually they all warmed up to each other and were good friends.

Now I have moved away. I live in an apartment just with the dog. I got the new cat yesterday and the cat is an adult not a kitten. The cat is still getting used to the house so during the day in my room I have the litter box food bed toys. The door closed and the dog doesn't go in. At night the dog in the spare room (door closed) and put cats things around the house and leave my room door open so it can leave and explore the house.

Sometimes in the room during the day the cat can smell the dog under the door. The cat is afraid of the dog when it saw the dog. The dog was very excited to see the cat. The dog is gentle though. But I haven't let the dog go near the cat yet.

The cat is still getting used to the house. Just want to know the best way to introduce them in these circumstances. I care about them and I want it to work out well and I know it can. Any advice?