Would I have a chance to get sole custody? Should I get a lawyer?

So, I fell in love with a drug dealer/addict who couldn’t keep his dick in his pants, and I thought having a baby with him would make him stay with me and make him change for me. So, four months after my daughter was born I’m now wanting sole custody of my daughter. He cheated on me when I was 2 months pregnant,... show more So, I fell in love with a drug dealer/addict who couldn’t keep his dick in his pants, and I thought having a baby with him would make him stay with me and make him change for me. So, four months after my daughter was born I’m now wanting sole custody of my daughter. He cheated on me when I was 2 months pregnant, tried to punch me in the face when I was 4 months pregnant, he choked me up against the fridge the other day and got arrested for it. He has a long record including theft, 4 marijuana related charges and one controlled substance charge, driving without a license charge and now the charge of battery or something when he choked me. His whole family is basically the same with similar charges on their records. Last weekend I allowed him to take my daughter to his sisters house when I kicked him out and he smoked weed with the guy that raped me 3 yrs ago while my daughter was in his care. This weekend he was smoking meth and weed with the same guy. I still love him but I can only take so much, but I’m not trying to act like I’m innocent, I have also slapped him or thrown my wedge boots at him and I have already moved on and am engaged to my old boyfriend what do you think would be the outcome if I tried to get sole custody of my daughter?