Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

Someone recently called me an “ugly, old bit.h” and smirked & laughed, I wasupset, but ignored them while they mocked me, was this correct?

I am female, 53, average looks.

This was a stranger, a woman, maybe 25..

Why was I mocked?

Im very upset!

I don't believe a word of this.

I cannot even began to explain why you were bullied. But ignoring the person was the appropriate thing to do

Whoever is saying the b word to a nice elderly woman like you obviously isn't playing one's cards right. I could also be frank that they are out of their minds and negligent of self-honour.

The woman almost certainly had a mental problem. It's absurd to take her insults seriously when she doesn't even know you. Be sorry for her instead.

cause she was very rude is why

• .

Say "thank you" and walk away.

By reciting the rosary carefully every day, a person can have greater strength to endure unjust persecutions with love and patience.

Other people's opinions only matter if you resepect them.

She doesn't sound worth a second's thought. You behaved impeccably.

• Cogito

The answer from Anonymous is great - all I can add is that when someone feels the need to say something really nasty to someone else, that person must be very unhappy with herself.

Happy people don't want to be mean, unkind or rude.

I try to imagine what unhappiness is in that person's life that makes them so desperate that the only way they can feel better about themselves is to try to make a person they don't even know feel just as miserable.

I pity them.

I also wonder if, after they've said that, they feel embarrassed or guilty or if it actually made them happier in some way. Maybe trying to hurt a stranger made them feel like they had some power over them - made them feel strong or important.

It's the same with internet trolls who make really nasty comments about someone's looks or their life, when they don't even know them. I mean - you really have to feel sorry for anyone whose own life was that miserable!

You cannot control what other people say.

But you can control how you feel.

Let yourself be angry for a day.

By sundown, learn to forget the event because it is only someone's opinion. There are many others who may not share that opinion and certainly, you don't share that opinion as well.

If you are affected by one person's opinion, life would be very miserable.

HOWEVER, if you keep on getting only that opinion from many others, then stop and do a self reflection and self check to see why is it so. Make the necessary correction if needed.

Go with common sense. If not credible, discard but if it is credible, do a self check.