Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

How should I quit my job after 3 days?

I'm a freshman in college; I just got here not even 3 weeks ago. I definitely bit off more than I can chew when I signed up to work 4 nights a week from 8:45pm-1:30am in one of the campus dining centers. It's only been three days but it's already seriously affecting my schoolwork and my mental health. Can I quit effective immediately over email?

wouldn't do it via e-mail, but I would talk to the supervisor and explain why you need to quite.

I'm sure we can all see how hard this is, but I don't see how it can really be 'seriously affecting your mental health' after only 3 days.

However, if you're determined to leave, do it the grown up way, talking to your supervisor, explaining how you feel (but not complaining: after all, you knew the hours before you started) and if necessary, giving formal two-weeks' notice.

thats up to you but if you dont give them a 2 wks notice you wont be able to use them for references

• Foofa

Go in and have a real conversation with your supervisor about this. Yes you're not resigning from some very important position, but they way you approach this will set you up for being more responsible in later life. It's customary to give a written letter of resignation and a two weeks notice. But if you explain yourself in person you can probably arrange to leave this job sooner.

• drip

A dining hall that is open until 1:30!!

You need to put your resignation in writing and give it to your boss. You should give them a two week notice. You can ask that you be off the schedule as soon as possible. You can also ask if you can do a different time shift, weekends only or only one or two days per week.

You should go in and talk to your boss ASAP.

• Jerry

Give notice and explain that working late nights is affecting your health, your ability to study effectively. If you fail to give notice then you're not going to be able to use this employer as a reference in seeking future jobs. But if you give notice and leave in the right way, you get a good reference, a former employer saying that you're a good worker who asked them to find a replacement for you when you had to leave due to schedule conflicts.

• g

Three whole days in a campus dining center and its seriously affecting your schoolwork and mental health?? Find a way to balance your class/sleep/study/work time and give it a chance. Everything has an adjustment period - dont just throw it in without trying.

• Jerry

Some people can easily switch between day, afternoon, and night shifts. But for some people that kind of sleep schedule disruption translates to never feeling well rested and alert no matter how much they sleep.

Of course. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first.

If you must ask a bunch of idiots

on Y!A than your job's gotta such mnky

balls & imo shuld find a beter 1 PRNTO!