If all responsible adults were required by law to openly carry a gun whenever in public?

Back in the days of the old "American West" most men wore guns on their hips. Were there "mass shootings" back then? I doubt it.

• Favorite Answer

You do know the difference between movies and reality, right? Many towns in the Old West had open carry bans within the town's borders. The showdown at the OK Corral was initiated by cowboys defying the open carry ban and daring the local law enforcement to do something about it.

The San Francisco militia was made up of 2000 men who were each given a rifle by the city and given the responsibility of rallying whenever they were called, rifle in hand. Otherwise, their weapons were not carried by them while they went about their daily business. The militia had to be formed as a response to the rampant and escalating violent crime. The federal government refused to assist the city until the crime rate had been reduced to pre-Rush levels, and then they demanded that the militia be disbanded. Want to guess what happened? (They eventually disbanded as the Army moved in). But while the militia existed, if you were carrying a weapon on your hip and you were just a regular person, you could expect a visit from the local law enforcement and from the militia (if you decided to escalate things).

So, of course, the question that needs to be asked is this: How do you qualify someone as being a responsible adult? You're strangely vague about this point.

Never happen. Your question is moot.

• Dick

My father worked "private security" in the Big Bend area of Texas, around the time Pancho Villa's guys were raiding ranches and homesteads. They spent weekends in towns, drinking. There were usually several gunshot deaths each weekend. How many do you need, to call it "mass"??

That is a myth. Towns had strict gun laws. Shootouts like you see on old Westerns rarely happened. The famous "Shootout at the OK Corral" happened because the Wyatt's were coming to disarm the the Clanton's.

For all this talk about open carry and even CC, gun shows in red states ban Second Amendment rights. What good is a gun if you are required to unload and check in your ammo at the door. Might as well have a feather in your pocket.

• Manny

Or you could be like me and nor carry anything…

• Manny

There's a reason we transitioned from that world. They carried guns because they needed them to survive in the untamed frontier. And no, assault rifles didn't exist in the 19th century.

Source(s): Contrary to popular belief, John Wayne was not a cowboy, but an actor. I know, I know, what a shock…
  • Sally

They were required to turn in their guns at the edge of town and pick them up when they left. That's how they prevented mass murders.

Yeah I think I saw those cowboy movies too

If one problem goes wrong, I could expect an apocalypse.