D asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

I added a little bleach to the water of my igloo ice maker to keep the water in it from getting slimy?

I was gone for 3 days and thought the bleach would keep the water clear and I could clean it when I got back. Turns out everything in it was covered with black something. I don't know if it was mold or what, even the shiny metal parts were scarred to the point of no return. Can someone tell me what happened?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

    Aluminum is a very sacrificial metal.

    Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) can corrode even stainless steel.

    I think that one drop of bleach would have been enough.

    You overdid it.

    Don't be drinking any of that water.

    I used to keep nitric acid in my shop to remove oxidation from brass/bronze/copper alloys. You need to find out which acid will clean the aluminum, and then rinse it profusely and let the aluminum rebuild its natural oxide in dry air. I'm not a chemist.

    Read through this article for general info:

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Acid-Wa...

    Is your Igloo aluminum ice maker one piece? Or does it disassemble? Because if it can be disassembled, I would clean one piece at a time.

    I wouldn't use any "abrasive" or "polish" to clean the aluminum. Use a chemical (acid) bath, then rinse well with water, then dry it well and let it sit in the air for a while.

    If you don't understand this thoroughly, then don't do it.

    You could call Igloo and ask.

    Source(s): Dont leave water in something like that. Just drain it.
    • M.
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

      Thanks for choosing my answer! Good luck.

  • 2 months ago

    Bleach corroded the aluminum parts.

  • 2 months ago

    You SHOULDN'T be keeping liquid water in an ice maker. You shouldn't be using bleach in anything for human consumption.

    • D4 weeks agoReport

      The instructions said to add water to the ice maker. That is the only kind of water I have (liquid)

  • 2 months ago

    You might have a black colored elastomer gasket that is not compatible with chlorine. It dissolved. Generally, such products use compatible elastomers and may be your igloo is a Chinese knock off.

    • D4 weeks agoReport

      no it was actually black fuzzy looking

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    bleach eats most metals,

    • D4 weeks agoReport

      never even thought about the metals. I just didn't want the slime when I got back.

  • John
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

    Bleach is a lye and next time put vinegar in it which is acetic acid.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Yep. The bleach attacked the metal surfaces. A salutary lesson.

  • 2 months ago

    I think chlorine can be corrosive and it might be effecting the metal parts .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.