Fluent English speakers, could you help me with my English?

I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good as I'm not a native speaker. Should I change these lines to make it sound more natural? I would be grateful for any answers. The construction of the school building in in 2017 became like an icebreaker allowing the construction company to enter... show more I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good as I'm not a native speaker. Should I change these lines to make it sound more natural? I would be grateful for any answers.

The construction of the school building in in 2017 became like an icebreaker allowing the construction company to enter wider waters and demonstrated that the company’s capacities reached a new level.

[I want to make a comparison of the powers of the company with an icebreaker as this idiom is in the original language; can I use such sentence?]