Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetOther - Internet · 2 months ago

Has anybody tried those people search websites? Where you pay for subscription and find people's personal information?

If you did what's your experience with them?

I'm trying to look for a relative and I'm tempted to use such sites.

But I'm scared that they're scams.

What do you think?

Best Answer

I wouldn't waste money on those. Most of those websites just use publicly available information. They don't really have any fancy tricks or techniques to get the information. The only thing that makes them "good" is that they consolidate the data into a single report.

However, even then the data isn't entirely accurate. I looked myself up on one of those reports and was able to find myself. However, some of the information was wrong. If that person has a common name, it might be possible for them to get it mixed up with another person with the same name. All of these services claim to be the best at finding information, but in the small fine print they always say that the information isn't guaranteed and could contain incorrect/inaccurate information.

Additionally, most of these services use the words "may have" a lot. This is to lure you into paying for their subscription. "So and so *may* have arrest records.". "Billy Bob" *may have* filed for bankruptcy." So while the websites might not be scams directly, the information you can get is all public.

• Rick

Looked-up a long lost sister for a friend once, worked OK ..........................

No , it doesn’t have the correct information