How does my boyfriend get his gun back?

My boyfriend never had so much as a parking ticket his entire life until recently. He fell asleep in his car in a private parking lot. When police arrived they gave him a breathalyzer test that came back as 0.00. After passing the breathalyzer test, he was arrested for a DUI controlled substance charge. The state of Alabama has since dropped the charge. He has a CCW permit and his gun was seized at the stop. How does he go about retrieving his firearm back?

Favorite Answer

Needs to go to the police station and ask.

your husband needs to go down to the station and **** the arresting officer and then take his gun ive that myself before and it worked like a charm

You'll need to take him to two different doctors to confirm that he has Dementia.  Then, you can use that to go to court and get legal guardianship of him.  Get him on Medicaid (important!)  Lastly, get him into a good nursing home that'll accept his Medicaid as payment.  Make sure that you visit him there regularly to make sure that everything's Ok.  

Guns are a substitute for deeper issues; viagra might solve his real problem so he doesn't need the gun back.

The police took the guns out of my house, After my girlfriend and i got into a fight. The neighbors heard the shouting and the police showed up. Nobody was charged with anything, and no arrest were made. But a restraining order was issued and the police took my firearms. They called it a "Cool down period". Apparent'y they can do that now. The day after the order expired, i went to the police station and got them back. I just said "I was told to come here to retrieve my property". And a detective came out and spoke to me, and they checked the computer to verify that there were no pending charges against me, and the detective got my guns from the evidence locker and walked with me back to my vehicle. and he placed them in my trunk, and i left without incident.  It's your property. The police station can't legally keep it unless you're being charged with a crime. If no charges were files. Then legally speaking, That's your property. Go get it back. If they wont play ball, you'll have to get a lawyer. But when you go there, Be nice, and don't use the word "Gun" or "Firearm".  Just refer to it, as your "property". The word "Gun" carries with it a certain connotation. And you don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. "Hello, i was told i could come here to retrieve my property"?  Just approach it like that. And hopefully all goes well. 

• Kevin3 months agoReport

Yes, the use of appropriate language can be very effective. "Please return my property that I keep in case I ever decide I want to use it to put a potentially fatal hole or two in somebody in accordance with my second amendment rights, not that I am feeling any such urges currently."

Your boyfriend LIED to you. What he told you happened isn't even up to the level of BAD fiction. If he was arrested as you claim, the charges would not have been dropped, because they would never have been filed.

• Roza3 months agoReport

Steven F. It was NOT a possession charge. Maybe I should have been more clear. A DUI controlled substance charge is a single charge. Some states call it DUI-D.

That will take a fight with the Alabama Sheriffs Association. Normally, he could take the dismissal papers to the local sheriff. The ALLEGED drug charge will cause problems.

Have him go to the department that arrested him and ask. The ADA should have gave him dismissal papers. Have him bring them.

Note- I assume the weapon was loaded. But he will NOT get the ammo back.

why does he need a gun? he shouldn't need it

he needs to ask the police how to get it back

• STEVEN F

Fact check: You have ZERO CLUE what a fact is.