y asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 months ago

I am Japanese and would like to know the subtle difference in English?

Would you show me under what situations you say “Not like you can do anything”.

• Ben
    Favorite Answer

I assume you mean the difference between "You can't do anything." and “Not like you can do anything.”

"You can't do anything." is simply a statement of fact.

“Not like you can do anything.” is not a phrase intended to convey information. You are not telling them that they cannot do anything. Rather, they already know that they can't do anything, and you are simply stating that obvious fact in an attempt to placate them and make the stop worrying about things they cannot change.

I suppose a simpler way to state it would be to say that “Not like you can do anything.” is one way of saying in English that common Japanese phrase 仕方がない.

• y10 months agoReport

Thank you for your clear answer "仕方がない".

It means "It's not as if you can do anything" when we want to reassure the other person that it's not their fault if they can't put something right.

I am sorry, I did not understand your question

• Matt

That is a condecending way to say "you cant do anything" but can be used in a joking tone to a friend.

I think you're asking about the phrase “subtle difference”? If so, a subtle difference is a very small difference between two things that is often not very easy to notice. If two people are identical twins, but one has a small mole that the other does not, that would be considered a subtle difference, as the mole is the only thing different between the two twins. I hope this answers your question! :)

• anna10 months agoReport

My bad, I didn’t see the question! Glad you got a good answer from someone else though!! :)