Is it better to get a bigger or smaller tattoo for your first time or does it not really matter?

Basically I ve wanted tattoos for years but now I m almost 20 so I want to get my first one and I ve noticed when I ask people about their first tattoos they re always quite small even if they have bigger ones now so it s not just they prefer smaller tattoos. I was wondering is it better to get a small tattoo first... show more Basically I ve wanted tattoos for years but now I m almost 20 so I want to get my first one and I ve noticed when I ask people about their first tattoos they re always quite small even if they have bigger ones now so it s not just they prefer smaller tattoos. I was wondering is it better to get a small tattoo first so you know what you re in for in terms of pain/ aftercare and the whole experience or does it not really matter at all. I have a tattoo in mind for my first one I want and it s pretty big it d take up most of my inner upper arm. Also if you have any good/helpful advice for someone getting their first tattoo please let me know!! Thank you.