Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Why is my car taking less engine oil to fill from an oil change?

I have a 2013 economy sedan, 70k miles. Fuel mileage has been a lot less than normal (32-34 combined to now 23-25). I just changed the engine oil for the second time since this has started happening. Manufacturer s book says it should take 3.8 quarts to fill. Last time that was too much so had to take some out: this time I only put 3.5 quarts and it was still showing too high on the dip stick so again had to take oil out. I have always changed my own oil so I know this is unusual. Spark plugs have been checked and air filter (k&n) also fine.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best Answer

Sludge. Flush your oil the next 2 changes and se the difference. If it doesn’t come out, you can’t add it back without overfilling it.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Also did you change the filter, that can hold up to a quart of oil depending on size and type.

• 2 months ago

oil filter also contains some mount. are you flushing out oil filter or replacing the filter? book doesn't tell a lie, there should be something wrong with the dipstick or you are not emptying the oil sump completely.

• John
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Its obvious mr 'i always do it myself so its always perfectly done because somehow you "know" what your doing' and that's why you ask questions.

I can think of five answers for you right off the bat but I'll start with the easy one

Pull your dipstick measure it and tell me if its too long.

• John
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Those are three commonest errors. Enjoy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Overfilling results in Higher fuel usage and you should change filter on every oil change another $10 wont Break you then check UK or US Quarts

1 qt ( quart liquid US ) unit for a volume and capacity measure equals = into 1.67 pt Imperial ( pint U.K. ) as per its equivalent volume and capacity

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'm sorry, I can't really tell the difference between 3.5 and 3.8 quarts. You should be more worried about that mileage drop

• Geo
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I'd be more concerned about getting 10 Miles a Gallon LESS that overfilling the oil by 1/3 Quart. Different Filters have different Capacities. Just fill it to the Top mark on the stick. I'd pull a Spark Plug and look at it. It tells a story. Next time say what you drive, not an Economy Sedan

• 2 months ago

Are you changing the oil after the motor is warmed up?

• 2 months ago

You read the WRONG number and didn't account for the oil in the filter you didn't change.

Your comments to don_sv_az are FLAT OUT LIES in reaction to being caught making up BS.

• Anon2 months agoReport

E: Dont Dignify Stevie's rants with an answer. He admits to living on SSDI from a concussion, :changed: his answers when caught in a lie. Like" Odd number of jurors to prevent hung jury"--when EVERYONE knows it is 8 or 12, depending. So did my $10,000 Lawyer...

• 2 months ago

Did you change the oil filter? It takes about 1/2 quart to fill the new filter.

• Etamitlu
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Yes I know how to change the engine oil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.