Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

So I about done writing my first novel. I wonder how much violence in a book is too much?

In my story warfare is a large focus as other medieval stories are, but the blood is focused on for the magic of the land uses the blood of both caster and fallen for larger spells. I have already gotten rid of a lot of 'mindless' violence rather violence for the sake of violence but some scenes like introducing one of the villains as the genocidal warlord they are, in their moment I can't bring myself to remove the cruelty and coldness in their heart through their horrible acts just so everyone can see their true selves.

So basically should I patch up some of the brutality of warfare for the sake of it and know the reader can imagine what that character is doing or should I deliver the savagery of medieval combat to the light?!

Favorite Answer

That depends on the genre and your target audience. Read other books in the genre you are aiming at to see if the amount of violence in yours is over the top. Find 3-5 beta readers who read the genre and see how they react. It's okay if they're upset, but if they are so upset/annoyed that they want to fling the book across the room and not read any further, then you've likely gone too far.

Your novel has no chance of being published unless you polish up the shockingly poor standard of English.

• Marli

I agree with Voelven and with Andrew. Anyone who has read about warfare in the Middle Ages knows it was bloody, gross and fought more for the warlords' benefit than for their nations'. Those readers would be prepared for gore, even seemingly senseless gore if the instigators are maniacal tyrants.

And you should write in correct standard English and correct your errors before posting. An agent or a publisher's editor will not see the story through the errors. Write like a professional.

its your book, just write about whatever you want

• Andrew

Why don't you try learning English before worrying about whether or not people might think your story is too violent?

"... is a large focus as other medieval stories are..."?

".. is focused on for the magic..."?

"...as the genocidal warlord they are..."?

If you can't compose a simple question, then it's obvious that you're incapable of authoring an entire book.

Writing is about both content and form, style and substance.

You had better address the issues you have with the basic fundamentals of language before concerning yourself with what appeal your writing might hold, because as of right now, it holds none.