Leo asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

Why is my dog s ear swollen?

His ear has been swollen/puffy for two days now, and it s been getting worse. I m not sure what to do. We don t know what caused it and don t have the money to take him to a vet. Does anyone know what we can do for him or know about a cheap veterinary office in Norman or a neighbouring city in Oklahoma?

• *****
    Favorite Answer

Almost certainly an aural hematoma. They are treated surgically. Look into Carecredit to finance treatment. Also look into pet insurance for future incidents if you cannot afford vet care when needed.

• Leo10 months agoReport

Thank you! The vet said that it will go away in its own, but to keep an eye on it in case it starts up again after it dries or gets bigger before then.

• Nathan

there's nothing we can do on here, but calling a shelter is ideal. They can offer free or discounted medical treatment and usually take him to see a vet the same day (with your permission).

• Maxi

From what you say it is a haematoma and the only person who can help your dog is a vet so before it gets worse, before the dog gets a secondary infection from scratching and loses it hearing, you need to make some choices in life about what is important and find the money, so decide if internet access and your gadgets are more important to you than the dog and it health...if they are then you need to give the dog up to rescue

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/are-you-ha...

• Hannah

Honestly, only a vet can tell you what is wrong and help your dog...

I can't recommend any vets, as someone said I am no where near there. Look up "vets near me" on Google maps and look at the reviews of those vets. It helps a lot, that is how I found my vets for my 2 dogs and 2 cats. Maybe call some of them and explain your situation. They might be able to help you or give you some advice. Some vets offer payment plans, but not all.

This site is WORLDWIDE so very unlikely someone near you will see this. Pick up your effing phone and CALL a vet. This poor dog is SUFFERING because of you. If you're too poor for a vet DON'T HAVE A PET! Give this horribly neglected dog up to a no-kill shelter immediately.

• Leo10 months agoReport

How about you try to help people rather than jumping to conclusions that I just "can't afford a pet" because I can't afford some vets. Take a break from PETA for once. I know it's tough.

Yep, aural hematoma. likely due to an underlying issue - like a food allergy or yeast ear infection => causing VIOLENT head shaking & the BURSTING of blood vessels in the ear - which will REQUIRE surgery to drain & flatten it back out (aka pie-crust surgery) or the ear will become DISFIGURED & crinkled up PERMANENTLY. And you will still not have solved the ear INFECTION issue and the dog will CONTINUE to SUFFER from that, until or unless you DO get the funds to see a vet.

BTW, withholding vet care to a sick or injured pet - is a CLASS 1 FELONY of ANIMAL ABUSE - even if you lack the funds to pay for care - because you CAN surrender the dog, to the SPCA for care.

You ask a vet put simply

Look at your dog to see if your dog has a tick in his ear and if he has a tick in his ear put some mineral oil on the tick and in the day you can gently remove it it will be dead

you need to take him to the vet, they have health ins for pets, i would look into that

I'll tell you what I did when my dog had a physical issue - I BEGGED my relatives to lend me money. I got a second job. I went to the Vet who had treated my dogs for years and BEGGED for credit. My Vet and I shook hands and I paid him every week until the bill was paid in full.

Your dog is suffering. DO SOMETHING!

If you can't afford the Vet, REHOME THE DOG.