Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 5 months ago

Is my baby autistic?

My baby makes eye contact with me and responds to my voice (most of the time) and laughs when I play with him. He also grabs at things that are close to him like a phone changer and even a sucker stick that was sticking out of his cousins mouth that he tried to grab at. The thing that worries me is that a lot of times he'll stare off into space and I have to lightly close his eyes to snap out of it. He also moves around a lot and is constantly bobbing his head and like rocking back and forth to the point where he bangs his head against his baby chair. He also constantly wants to be held and needs constant stimulation.. a lot of times if hes being crabby all I have to do is take him outside or even the grocery store and he's happier because he can look around at all the people and stuff. He just turned 5 months

• KatieC
    Favorite Answer

I mean, mention your concerns to your pediatrician, but that sounds like a normal baby to me. They get super clingy around that age. And the staring off into space is just because they’re seeing/feeling every sensation for the first time. The world is completely overwhelming to a baby.

They sound perfectly normal to me..

Autism is definitely an overused diagnosis and you could seriously mess up the baby's entire childhood, possibly life after that. Especially if you go into the Dr asking for an autism label for what is actually normal infant behaviour. Also babies need more support sitting up. A lot of times they can't by themselves. Or maybe has a neck disorder, but plz try to avoid diagnosing a baby as autistic.

• ?

Stop messing with your baby's eyes. Staring into space is not something a 5 month old needs to 'snap out of'.

i would ask his doctor about it

You describe a perfectly normal baby.

You cannot diagnose autism as an infant.

If you're seeing symptoms like this go see a child specialist that knows about autism and if they diagnose autism now is the time to start making your child all that your child can possibly be. The longer you wait the less your child will be able to learn

Who told you that it was okay to have a child?

It's a baby, it needs stimulation. A good mother would know that.

Ask your pediatrician