Can a metal building affect how a computer works?

I’m an 18 yr drummer trying to record drums with reaper and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I can only practice and record in a metal shop, as i have to live with my parents and thats the only place i can practice. I noticed that every time i would take my computer out to the shop to record that nothing would work and everything would freeze up, but when i do everything in the house it will work perfectly fine. Because the building is metal there is no internet in it, don’t know if that is important. Does the metal shop affect how the computer works?, please help, this is extremely frusturating.

• Roddy

Unless you need to use any form of wireless service through the walls of the building, it should not matter what they are made of. 'Keerok' has made a sensible guess in his secod paragraph, so investigate that first.

• keerok

The only effect is wifi, if your internet is connects outside, as you have already observed. Other than that, there should be no problem.

I'm suspecting two things here. Either power (voltage from the wall socket) is low and unregulated (which you can solve by using an AVR or two in series) or there is a background application in your computer that insists on getting online connectivity no matter what and is dominating the cycles of your processor just to do so (to which the only solution is to seek it out and disable it from starting).

anything is possible