How come Hell in the Old Testament is either not mentioned or if it is, it's nothing like the place of fiery torment in the NT?

Best Answer

The hell of the Old testament otherwise known as s h e o l has no connotation whatsoever of a place where the wicked are burned in the fire it simply means the common grave. What really gets me is that in the Old testament God himself Yahweh Jehovah speaks and he says you show not tell your children that when they die they will pass on the to the god) Molech bull headed god of) because I did not command such a teaching and it is an abomination to me something that would never come into my mind to do. Furthermore God went on to command the Israelites to put to death anybody that was teaching this false doctrine! God definitely does not like the false doctrine of hell fire!

• Sean

You are really confused on the concept of hell Arimatthewdavies. There is no such thing as the God of the "old testament" as if they were different. You should review the referenced verse you claim God spoke in in actual context of what he is speaking about.

Perhaps there is a reference or two to "pit" and "Sheol". and even "grave".

• Tim

Daniel 12:2

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Isaiah 66:24And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

• David

Actually it is very clear in both the Old and New Testaments that it is a place of eternal judgment.

• Michze

Tartarus was put into Judaism by Greek storywriters later on.

• Sean

Because hell is a very general term for the waiting place of the dead. It typically meant the grave, but in many cases could be termed as a place of corruption in the dead's unrighteousness. It is not the Lake of Fire described in the New Testament. These are two separate locations. The dead will rise and go before God for judgement, and those written in the book of life will live forever with God, and those who are not, will be cast into the Lake of Fire where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For those who take the mark of the beast, it says they will burn eternally before God. I am not sure what punishment all others will endure, if it is the same or if something lesser, but it is not fun, of that I can assure you. I've seen weeping and gnashing of teeth in real life. It was traumatic and there was much misery involved. You don't want to take part in either outcome. Instead, learn to put your trust and faith in Christ and turn from your sins.

The ancient Jews had no concept of a hell or a heaven. They stole those concepts later.

Because it's all made up stories to frighten children and gullible and superstitious people.

Greek culture had already been in place in the middle east for centuries after the conquests of Alexander the Great when Jesus arrived on the scene. Judaism, at this time, and the Christianity that evolved out of it, borrowed from Hellenistic beliefs including the doctrine of hell (hades in greek belief)

Sounds like they made up the fiery torment later.