What do doctors do if patient is allergic to antibiotics that treat infection?

I have an infection and my doctor said that I have so many allergies and so I have to go to my primary care doctor tomorrow to figure something out. They mentioned something about shots....?

4 Answers

  • 3 months ago

    there are different classes on antibiotics, and some could be substituted. ALso, if you are in dire need of one kind, they could do desensitization shots under the direct care of an allergist, at times in the hospital. If its just rashes, and you need that antibiotics, then the hives can be treated when they arise. Also, allergies and side effects are two different mechanisms, so this would be something your doc/allergist/immunologist etc would have to work out.

  • 3 months ago

    Antibiotics are grouped. If you are allergic to one group they can give you something from a different group. If you are allergic to ALL antibiotics then you are pretty well screwed and about all you can do is keep up on your immunizations and stay away from sick people.

  • 3 months ago

    There are alternative medications. Being allergic to one type of antibiotics doesn't mean that you're allergic to them all.

    Some antibiotics are administered by injection. That's not too uncommon.

  • Henry
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

    I don't know if they have allergies to that as a legitimate thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.