MarleyRae asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Are you suppose to feel disconnected from reality on antipsychotic medications?

I am currently taking Latuda 20mg and I’ve been on it for about a month now. I went from 20mg to 40mg after 2 weeks and that just made me feel constant anxiety to the point where I couldn’t get anything done. I went back down to 20mg and I just feel like nothing is real, almost disconnected from reality and I can’t even have a normal conversation or sit still. I see my doctor in s few days about it but I wanted to know if this is a normal thing with antipsychotic meds.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Absolutely not! Sounds like this is not the right med for you.

• 2 months ago

You were prescribed anti-psychotic medications for a good reason. You are ill.

And so it is no wonder that you have a hard time concentrating or following through on conversations as a result of your psychosis and not the medication.

Remember that all anti-psychotic medications have to "build up" in your system in order to correct the psychosis and so one pill or just a few low doses of it won't be therapeutic. Most psychosis is caused by a biochemical imbalance within the brain that the medication corrects.

And so I wouldn't blame the medication for your condition, rather it is your illness that is causing these symptoms. Ask your doctor.

• 2 months ago

It's a pretty common side affect. You need to tell your doctor. Maybe you need a lower dosage, like 10 mg. It also takes TIME for anti psychotic and anti anxiety drugs to work.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Sadly it can be. Most antipsychotics make you feel as if your IQ has plummeted, your thought processes are slowed and you just can't function or hold a conversation. It's not being detached from reality, as that's psychosis, it's more a disconnect from the world around you. The inability to sit still is known as akathisia and it's bloody awful.

Medications such as beta blockers may have some effect on treating the akathisia but they also have side effects so the best thing to do is ask for a change of antipsychotic. Do you think you actually need to be medicated or is it worth getting a second opinion and trying therapy instead? If you're not psychotic I wouldn't start taking such powerful medications as they can do permanent harm.

Source(s): I was started on pretty high dose antipsychotics 24 years ago. I've taken many different ones, sometimes several at a time, and I switched off from the world and friends left me. I am now medication free and better than I've ever been and so much happier.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

i would ask your doctor about it, maybe he can change your meds

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.