Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 months ago

Is it possible to become a confident/out going person if you have been shy/awkward/anxious since being a small child through bullying?

my first memory is me being bullied by my sibling I was very very young so this knocked my confidence below the floor before I even had one. She and also other family members bullied me and made me feel small right up until I left the family home. I was also bullied and made to feel different all the way through primary school(I think just because I didn’t have he confidence of the other kids) then in secondary school and college I tried my best to fit in but I was always left behind..

I’m not doing a sob story here I’m 21 years old now and fed up of feeling small and lesser than everyone around me. I’d just like some advice on how to up my confidence and self esteem.

Thankyou for reading

Favorite Answer

I can't remember not being bullied in school, and I had serious self esteem issues when I finally escaped. I found a job working for a charity work where I met the best, most supportive co-workers you can possibly imagine, and they say I went from a very quiet introverted person, to an extremely extroverted person, in about a year, and I have felt the change too. Maybe if you manage to surround yourself with the right people, you can do this too.

I do have one thing I do when I don't know what to say in social situations, which you may find not helpful at all, which is I tell very cheesy jokes, that are so bad people do find them funny in a way, and it helps keeping conversations going.