Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 10 months ago

Why do people see vegetarian’s as a threat?

I can tell that my mom hates that I haven’t been eating meat mostly because it hurts my stomach now I didn’t eat much of it to begin with but now my body isn’t used to it at all anymore, so I replaced meat with protein bars when I bring it up she looks mean I noticed other people are like this to, but why? I wanted too be a vegetarian for so long but failed this time I haven’t ate any meat in 3 months so far.

It is mostly because of their own conscience and having to face the reality that what they are doing is wrong and unnecessary and secretly having a desire to either be like you or see you fail.

Seriously, I forget the clinical name for it but even parents will want to see their own offspring fail at something if it means having to look like a failure themselves if they are unable to accomplish the same thing as you. I often wondered growing up why my own parents and family members seemed to get some amount of enjoyment at seeing me fail to quit smoking (they too smoked and wanted to quit, or tried to, of course), when I finally was able to in my early twenties (living on my own at that time) I witnessed some resentment towards me often acting like I was an inconvenience for them because they could no longer smoke near me or they had to be more aware of where their smoke was blowing etc... I hear the same things from vegetarians/vegans now and it just brings me back to the research I did a few years ago trying to understand the human brain better and why people, even family, would do such a thing to one another.

I'm a vegetarian and I can assure you I never meant to be a threat. That is until, meat eaters became a constant threat to me. In school I had people secretly slide bacon into my sandwiches when I wasn't looking to try and upset me (they knew I was vegetarian just when I once CASUALLY mentioned it). In my eyes, they started this "war".

So I think us vegetarians would like some revenge.

• Wendigo

What you're calling a war, is something that no one knows exactly who started what's happened. It's people like you on both sides, keep pushing the other side with.

"Why do people see vegetarian’s as a threat?"

The main reason some people who do see vegetarianism as a threat, are those who has a lack of self confidence in themselves. For others it's a fear of something that's unknown to them, is outside what's normal. Then there are those whose lack of understanding, even though they'll usually proclaim otherwise, of how to eat meals, that does contain meat. Then you will have those who feels it's a threat because of those few, who try to push their personal preferences onto everyone else. Finally there are those who feel it's somehow a threat to either their so called masculinity, or in some cases their femininity.

I'm not threatened by those who are either a vegetarian or even vegan, even though meat, and other animal products, are part of my diet.But then that's just me, and I'm neither a vegetarian or a vegan. Over the years, I've spent a lot of time learning about diet and nutrition, and that made me become a bit more knowledgeable, than the average person. I also know from first hand experience, what works for some, won't work for everyone.

• Thorn

because they don't want to learn they eat the wrong things

which people would those be???

What someone else eats has NO effect on me what so ever.

"People" see anything and anyone that is a bit different to mainstream as being threatening. I think this is mainstream protecting itself.

They don’t see it as a threat to anything but your health.

I'd guess it's that apostrophe that does it.

I'm not sure what your “details” have to do with your question. Maybe you could update it and explain, or maybe not.

The fact is no one really likes being told that their lifestyle is bad for the world and/or for them - based truly on another persons opinion is a bias that we all have.

If some people started lecturing on how vegans were bad, irresponsible and their diet was wrong and bad for the environment and they could do better a few of them would get upset and see others as a threat.- crop microbe/bacteria start-up firms are suggesting that they can be better all round than the vegan diet.

The better question is why do vegan and vegetarians have to TALK about it all the fricking time. Get over it. Do you own thing and have no meal time expectations of being catered to by omnivores and all will be good.

• Thorn

they don'tTALK about it all the fricking time, and when they do it's because they are alarmed at the lies and horrors. Anti-vegans are much worse. Look at Star of Darkness's answer. Total BS and you have no problem with that?