Does the Xbox 360 still work without internet?

My xbox 360 has been sitting idle for years now as I've migrated to PC games. I got the idea to put it in my parent's basement so the grandkids could play it when they visit. But there's no wifi signal down there. I tried putting various LEGO games in and the machine acts like it can't read them.... show more My xbox 360 has been sitting idle for years now as I've migrated to PC games. I got the idea to put it in my parent's basement so the grandkids could play it when they visit. But there's no wifi signal down there.

I tried putting various LEGO games in and the machine acts like it can't read them. (these are games I know used to work). I cleaned the disk and put a head cleaner disk into the 360 to clean the laser head. It also reads DVDs just fine. But it won't play the games.

Seems like the 360 won't play game discs without internet. But that doesn't seem accurate. Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?