Anonymous

I'm a cosmetologist, how do i built clientele on the east and west coast?

I'm a hair stylist who originally lived on the east coast but I now live on the west coast. I have a licence in both the state i live and the state i used to live in. I'm still fairly new to the industry, having graduated just a couple of years ago. Currently I don't have much of a clientele where I live, just friends and family, but i really want to extend. Back where I used to live it's the same, friends and family. Any advice on what i can do? Does anyone have a similar experience?

Favorite Answer

Assuming you’re planning to work in both areas? If so, or even if you’re planning to work strictly on the west coast, build clientele with special offers, opening mixers, business cards, and special promotions like using Groupon, signage, loyalty discounts, traveling to senior residences.

• Tsuki10 months agoReport

What about renting a booth for a pop up? Another stylist said that would be a good idea.

When you travel to the east coast, there is no problem with you working with your friends and family. Most won't even care, if you stop paying your licensing.

But unless you are able to travel back and forth every 10-14 days, you aren't going to be able to build a successful clientele in both areas.

- Some people get their hair cut, every 3 weeks others every 3 months.

- People won't their hair done for special occasions.

If you aren't easy to get an appointment with when they want it, they will go elsewhere.

• A Hunch

People want at least one practice session before the big name, maybe more. How is that going to work if you are on the other side of the country. If you are a "known name", then people will be willing to work around this AND pay you to come. "known names" are the famous hair stylists.

You've never built up a clentele of duration, and you think you can work on two coasts? Seriously? You may need to rethink your career goals.