:)
:) asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 7 months ago

How do I address the issue of my roommates obnoxious alarms?

So yesterday and today (the weekend), my roommate has set alarms that would go off about every 15 minutes for about 2 hours. She had to be up for work at 7am today, and her alarms started going off at 6am. Her alarms alternate between this super loud and obnoxious desk alarm, and her iPhone. She did the same thing yesterday, except it started at 7:45ish am. We have a third roommate in a separate bedroom next to ours who wasn’t here this weekend and our walls are thin. Her desk alarm is so loud that I know it would have woken up our third roommate.

She just started working and I know with her depression she sleeps a lot and has a hard time getting up. I feel bad because I stormed away this morning and took my blankets and stuff to the couch because I was furious. But now that I’ve gottne to finish sleeping, I feel bad. But I still want to address the alarms. Advice? Am I being too harsh?

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

Tell her it's too much, that she needs to figure out a way to wake up that is less disturbing to other people in the shared home. Or find another place to live. That SHE can sleep through those alarms doesn't mean that OTHERS can sleep through them.

Is she taking drugs or something that she can't wake up? Keeping late hours? Sorry but people who can't manage to get out of bed when the alarm goes off are people who aren't going to keep the job. It's wrong of her to make HER problem into EVERYBODY's problem.

• Jerry

She should be budgeting at least 9.5 hours out the 24 to rest and sleep -- not a mere 8. Allow time to gradually fall asleep, time to wake up in the night return to sleep gradually, to wake up gradually and naturally instead of being blasted out of bed.

• audrey

No you're not. She's being selfish. 2 alarms, once each is enough.

• Hannah

Maybe politely tell that her multiple alarms woke you up this weekend.

Like after work or whatever, ask her if she got up to work in time this weekend and ask her how it was. Then slip in that the alarms woke you up. Maybe she will apologize and catch the hint.

If it doesn't work and it happens again next weekend or whatever, get your roommate to help you out on it. You guys will need to have a serious talk about it.. How it makes you feel and that you want to sleep in, especially on the weekends.

• :)

She had to be up today at *8am today not 7am!