Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 3 months ago

Would a moving story about an ex prisoner of war and a young girl be a new genre or no one wants to read about it?

It's not actually conceived as a romance, but a historical, psychological and coming of age story. It's about a guy who was left by everyone (dead parents, sister betraying him for her husband) and the story starts when he runs away from prison (wherehe was hit, denailed, tortured and insulted). At first his only thought is surviving and hiding, trying to avoid everyone. He feels alive again but he is traumatized and cannot understand properly what he's feeling, is that deception, anger, anguish disguided in normality? In another country he meets a girl, which happens to be mistreated and discriminated. She falls for him at first sight because of his looks and his sad eyes. He protects her when he sees an injustice. He tries to avoid her because he doesn't want to get involved with anyone, he just wants to embark for the next ship for the continent but he needs money, so he has to work. He understands only when it's too late that he loves her, and that she is madly in love with him, when she was almost abused and tried suicide and blamed him for not being there for her, and the moment he realizes it he doesn't want to let her go and feels sorry about himself refusing love and happiness for too long as a way of punishment. There are some love scenes but just mentioned and nothing too detailed and they aren't like sex scenes because there are just kisses and they both cry so it doesn't even feel like some young adult novel.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I would read such novel. It sounds interesting and different from the rest. As long as you don't make it clichee it could turn out good. What intrigues me is that you start the novel when everything is already over and he has to begin everything from the start.

• 3 months ago

Try it see if it works.

• 3 months ago

How would it be a 'new' genre? It clearly IS a romance, and with all that crying going on, I'd say it would be ideal on the YA shelves.

You've been posting about this story for months now, maybe a year, I've lost track. You started with the poor Irish girl who - most improbably - was at school with rich English aristocrats. You had the man who had been released from prison legally, yet who still thought he had to 'flee'. You had them travelling to Canada and falling in love but for some reason that you have never managed to explain, he thought he should abandon her.

Then she died and they all lived happily eve ... oops - well, whatever.

Look, if you want to write this story, for heaven's sake just WRITE IT. You don't need anyone's permission, and the more you post about it on here, where we're all sick of hearing about it, the more answers you'll get that are downright rude.

It might turn out brilliantly; it might not. But nobody, including you, will ever know, unless you do actually Sit.Down.And.Write.It.

Note: a book doesn't become 'moving' because its characters cry a lot. It is moving when the author writes it with skill and emotion.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Oh was that part of the same thing? I do remember it!

• Tina
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Why do you keep asking about this story?

You say it's historical, but don't give any indication of when it's set.

You say your protagonist is an ex POW but don't say from which war, and later seem to say he's just an escaped prisoner.

He wants to leave the country (the one he escaped to?) but needs money (does he also need papers, or anything that would enable him to settle in another country?)

How does he meet the girl? (you repeat several times that he had his nails torn out in prison - this must have left his hands in a horrible state, and affected his ability to use them - does the girl notice? or his she just looking at his sad eyes?)

And you have some phrases I simply cannot understand - for instance " is that deception, anger, anguish disguided in normality? " 'deception'?

and "which happens to be mistreated and discriminated" that should be 'who' and 'discriminated against' (why, by the way - does she belong a minority group? or is there something about her?) and 'happens to be' sounds quite wrong.

Instead of repeatedly asking questions about your story, try writing the first few chapters and see how it goes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I couldn't even make it through your rambling question, so it's safe to say that I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• 3 months ago

You have been asking about this for a long time. Did you start writing yet? If not, then start. If you have a story to tell, then tell it.

You're not writing a new genre, from what you've written here, it could be filed under quite a few genres (I suggest you study the different genres in detail, because they are not as narrow as you seem to think they are), and it's impossible to tell whether or not a story will be good, or sell or not, based on a short description. It's usually down to execution, marketing, and... well, sheer, dumb luck sometimes.

• 3 months ago

It can be tough to remember the title and author of a book you read a long time ago—even if it was a book that was really important to you. Fiction is cataloged by author and title, not by subject or plot line, which makes identifying books by just their storyline difficult.

Readers often ask librarians for help finding these kinds of books. And we can’t figure out the mystery every single time, but we do have a few tricks to help find the answer.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

The asker isn't asking about a book they'd read before; they're asking about a book they've been thinking of writing for months and months.

• 3 months ago

No it’s not vergbintersinting

• 3 months ago

A "moving" story? I'm sure some would like that. But going by that unparagrahed, illiterate wall-of-text there, you couldn't do it in a month of Sundays. Do something with vampires instead. Or Harry Potter fanfic.

• 3 months ago

Plots alone don't grab the reader. In fact some plots are ridiculous but the reader can't put the book down!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.