I’m having trouble coping with change, I miss the past so much, please help me.?

I just graduated high school and I’m now at college, even though i’m in a dorm with my bff, I'm still living close to home and go back often. My friends are selling their houses and moving far away for college. I miss my past so much. I’m not happy anymore, any tips on how to move forward?

• Foofa

If you just graduated high school and your friends have houses to sell it likely means you've been hanging out with much older people and so them moving on is just normal life. Almost no one keeps the same friend group from high school through to adulthood. Eventually you'll make new friends your own age so your paths will be more in line with each other. This doesn't mean you'll always live in the same city, in fact probably not. But at least you'll be at a similar stage of life.

• Alan H

The past is irrecoverable

Enjoy your studies; link up with societies there

Do whatever makes you happy.

Nostalgia

Ever hear older people talking about the war?

The camaraderie? The community spirit?

Its done through rose coloured glasses

we ALL do that, we look back and remember the good times

You need to see this for what it is, a new phase in your life

you are looking back to what you know, because the future is unknown

your friends are all moving on, and you must too, onto this new chapter, college is where you make lifelong friends, you make connections for your future career, its most people first walk into adult life.

You need to submerse yourself in college life instead of living in the past

Use only paper currency or credit card, not coins. If anyone tries to give you any, just say "Deep the change."

Forward is the only place to go. It's like when you had to go to grammar school but didn't want to. When High School seemed totally weird the first semester. When you had your 17th birthday and it wasn't "special". It goes like this. And what also happens is incredibly wonderful things all the time if we notice them. You aren't happy. You also are not noticing the wonder surrounding you. And lots of other people are the same boat you are in. Fear. Distrust of their own choices. A goal not pursued with gumption. All of those things you can change if you decide to do so. Decide, believe, and pursue forward. So many wonderful things will happen.