Should I go to the hospital?

I was diagnosed with an ear infection about 2 days ago now, and have been using antibiotics since then. My whole family suffers from chronic ear aches, but me being one of the younger people in our family, I've have about 5 since I was born, but they were never too bad. Everyone in my family has a super high... show more I was diagnosed with an ear infection about 2 days ago now, and have been using antibiotics since then.
My whole family suffers from chronic ear aches, but me being one of the younger people in our family, I've have about 5 since I was born, but they were never too bad. Everyone in my family has a super high pain threshold, minus maybe 2 of my sisters, so when one of us is in pain to the point of tears, you know it really hurts BAD.

I have never cried more than I have in the past few days before in my life. It's the worst ******* pain I've ever felt, and I've literally been stabbed. It's to the point where not even the strongest painkillers we have are relieving it even slightly.

My doctor gave me some strong antibiotics, said wait a day or two, but even before then it should start getting better. It's been 2 days now and it has done nothing except continuously get worse. My family are recommending a trip to the hospital just in case- my mother had two ear infections in the past year that developed into something life-threatening with no warning signs except the serious pain and complete hearing loss in one ear because it was so blocked, both of which I'm experiencing now.

I'm a bit apprehensive about going down to the hospital, mostly because I don't know if they'll be able to do anything if it does seem like it's going to spread, and if it doesn't, they'll just dismiss it as a common earache, even though I've had multiple before and it feels nothing like them one bit?
1 answer 1