I want to be a parent but don't think I could handle raising a child with severe special needs or autism?

I'm a single parent. I want to have a baby or adopt a child but I don't think I could handle raising a child who may have autism or serious special needs. I know most will say than I shouldn't be a parent at all if I'm not willing to do that. I've worked as a nanny for several families over the... show more I'm a single parent. I want to have a baby or adopt a child but I don't think I could handle raising a child who may have autism or serious special needs. I know most will say than I shouldn't be a parent at all if I'm not willing to do that. I've worked as a nanny for several families over the years all with autistic children and I've seen how hard it is and how expensive it is to get help. I couldn't afford it. But I do want to be a mother. Is there any way I could go about becoming a parent ensuring that I won't have this happen?
Update: if I was married I wouldn't worry as much but as a single parent with no support system I feel that raising an autistic child by myself would be way too much to handle.
3 answers 3