Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 10 months ago

How should I deal with my mother-in-law insulting my children?

I recently married the man of my dreams, but my new MIL is a nightmare. My husband has a girl & a boy from a previous marriage & I also have a girl & boy from previous relationships, plus we have a 2 year old so & 6 month old daughter together. Our house is full of kids & we treat all of them equally. My MIL doesn't. She acts like my kids are 2nd class citizens & makes snide remarks to them. She actually told my 8 yr old she was too fat to wear a swimsuit in public, & told my 5 yr old son he was going to flunk kindergarten on the first day of school. But she told my stepson (who also started) that he was the cutest & smartest boy in the class. And she compares my daughter to my step daughter in brains, looks, personality,ect too. She does like our 2 year old because he looks just

like his dad & is smart. I heard her telling my husband he should get dna testing done on our baby girl because she says she is a homely child. She buys my stepkids toys & candy & tells my kids they should get me to find their daddy's mommy to spoil them. They don't know what that means, because they don't even know their dads. They call my husband "daddy" & he IS daddy to them, so why can't she accept them like she does the other kids? The favoritism is so obvious even our 2 year old notices. I do appreciate her help with all 6 kids but it breaks my heart to see them treated so rudely. My husband & I talk to her about it, but she denies it. Do you think I should secretly record her?

• Pam
    Favorite Answer

Why are you allowing this behavior that is no doubt affecting your children's self esteem!!! Why do you put up with this??? It is an outrage! Discuss this with your husband and let him know in plain English that his mother is not welcome in your home if she continues the disparaging treatment of your children. Who will stick up for your kids if you don't??? They are too young to understand how they feel. It is YOUR JOB to defend them and keep toxic people out of their lives. Your MIL should NOT be welcome under these circumstances and it's far past the time that she be told that she either has to straighten up and forbid her to speak to your children in that manner or she cannot visit with them. Her choice! And your husband should back you up on this. If he does, your MIL should get the message and change her tune. It is VERY cruel to do that to children!! Put a stop to it immediately!

i wouldnt let her come around them if shes going to treat them like that

I think you AND your husband, especially your husband, should stand up to her and inform her that you expect all the children to be treated equally, and that this will be the condition uponwhich she'll be permitted to interact with them in the future. Stick to your guns, and expect your husband to support you in this. Good luck!

• mokrie

Shame on you for allowing this! You should put your foot down and tell her to either treat your kids with equal respect or stay away. PERIOD.

Holy **** lmao!!!!@