If I travel by car from the US to Canada....?


What is the minimum required? I'm seeing conflicted info online.

Update 2:

What is the minimum identification, sorry!

13 Answers

  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    You're only seeing 'conflicting information' because you are clearly not bright enough to go to the most relevent source, the CBSA site.

    Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

    If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

  • Best way to go would be to bring a pass port and some ID, like a drivers license or nexus drivers license with you.

  • W
    Lv 4
    11 months ago

    Be prepared to be interrogated by CBP like a common criminal. They have the right for unlimited search-and-seizure that basically violate the Constitution. Most people don't know that within 100 miles of any US border, the CBP can violate the basic rights of the Constitution without any consequence. If you don't believe me, trying giving one of the old 'I refuse to answer questions' routine and time how fast they taze you.

  • 11 months ago

    4 wheels is the minimum. Any less, and the vehicle is classed as a motorcycle.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

    Minimum of what exactly?

    Provide details and specifics with your question. Broad, generalized questions are useless...

  • 11 months ago

    Gas? money? It's a few hundred at least! No get rid of the gas money they asked a vague question we give him a vague answer. woops. oh my god

  • 11 months ago

    Minimum of what?

  • Brian
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

    If only traveling to either Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or somewhere in the Caribbean, all you need to get back into the US is a passport card. It is cheaper than the full passport; but you can still use a passport if you'd like. However, the passport card is I think only around $15.

  • 11 months ago

    You need a passport book or card, an enhanced driver's license or an equivalent travel document.

  • 11 months ago

    Essentially, you need a passport. I think you can get by with a birth certificate and driver's license into Canada, but no back into the US.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.