Is December the best time of year to buy a new car?

I'm in the market for a new car. I know, instant depreciation and could save a lot of money buying used. But I like to buy new and offset the depreciation with all the money I save on car payments once it's paid off. I buy a good reliable make, like Honda or Toyota, something that can last 250K miles... show more I'm in the market for a new car. I know, instant depreciation and could save a lot of money buying used.

But I like to buy new and offset the depreciation with all the money I save on car payments once it's paid off.

I buy a good reliable make, like Honda or Toyota, something that can last 250K miles easily, while still having lower repair costs than a lot of cars do at 100k miles, then I drive it for 15 to 20 years until it needs a repair that costs more than the car is worth.

But I digress.

Most dealerships have "Holiday sales events" during the holiday shopping season, between black Friday and Christmas Eve.

Then they have their "year end event" during the last week of the year between Christmas and New Years.

My understanding is that those two sales events where dealerships will really want to sell as many of the 2019 models as they can to make more space for the 2020 models, especially since 2020 models for most cars are being sold already.

Yet I'll still be getting a brand new car that will last just as long as if I bought a 2020.

If I wait until December, or at least until after Thanksgiving, will I arrive at the dealership to find lower sticker prices, and them willing to negotiate an out the door price for a lower amount than if I bought it at any other point in the year?

Or would other factors make it all a wash, leading me to be no worse off if I got the car here in September?