Is this something to hold against your child’s father?

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 3 & 1/2 years. We recently welcomed a new baby girl. My issue is that he is calling my baby his other daughters name. He has not seen his other daughter in at least 2 years since his other child’s mother is bitter & has cut all communication ties from his child to him (in case your wondering, the courts are now involved). It’s really sad honestly. But I’m starting to not understand why he keeps slipping up & calling my child his others daughters name. This has happened twice, first time I THINK I heard him call her that when he was holding her right out the womb in the hospital & I say I think cause I was on heavy meds & I asked him about it and he ignored me, so I ask him via text, he said no he didn’t. Now today was the second time & he said that it was an accident. I understand he misses his first born & I'm not here to replace anyone, but is this unfair to my child & I? By the way, he shows my daughter love as a father should, this is just messing with me & I’d prefer others opinions.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Every parent every where on the planet has called his or her child by the wrong name. Constantly.

This isn't the real issue though, is it. Something about your relationship is making you feel insecure - maybe it's because he won't marry you, even after multiple years and having a child together.

• 2 months ago

He's done it twice. TWICE.

I've called my kids the dog's name.

• GB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

My mum has been doing this for year. I will worry when she calls me by my brother's name.

• Suzy Q
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

He did this TWICE. So it's hardly a habit, now is it? It hardly warrants claiming he 'KEEPS slipping up'.

Wait until you have a second child, especially another girl. You WILL slip up and call one by the other's name. A lot more than twice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LizB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It doesn't mean anything. My husband calls our son his brother's name sometimes. Their names aren't even remotely similar. When I was growing up my grandmother sometimes called me by my eldest cousin's name on accident, not because she was favored, but because she was very fond of both of us (she was the oldest, I was the youngest and my mom's only child). Your SO mixing up the two names occasionally isn't a sign of anything, and if you and he have any more kids then it will happen between the siblings sometimes, too.

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, it doesn’t matter. I call kids the wrong name sometimes, usually followed by “gah, sorry i meant...” i wouldn’t get it right on the second try. The only one i got right is my son, i still confuse a couple of my nieces and nephews, i don’t remember the names in order and it’s not a big deal

• helene
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Wow, this has happened a whole TWICE. You're overreacting.

My mother has called me by her sister's name at least 2000 times. And I'm her favorite person.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it might be cause hes upset he cant see her

• A C
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No. Let it go. It's a common mistake. My mother would sometimes call me my sister's name.

• 2 months ago

I think you're absolutely making a mountain of a molehill.

I have 4 kids. They routinely get called by their siblings names.

I've been called Dad by my kids. My parents have accidentally called me by my kids names.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.