If you can speak another language (and are proficient in it), do you feel that other language is part of your identity?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes, it becomes part of who you are

• 2 months ago

To some extent, yes of course. But it doesn't necessarily mean that I have any special personal relationship with that culture.

• Yes
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, it sort of defines who I am since there are only specific reasons of why I know those languages.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes.

Definitely.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

To some extent yes. The languages you know determine what things you can talk about, and with whom.

Among fluent speakers of German, my identity is different from that of Dutch who don't know German

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i feel that way, im bilingual and can speak spanish

• 2 months ago

No.

Because I learned 2 foreign languages before I got to my own native language.

So... people harping on languages being part of who you are? 🥴 You're a fvcking racist joke and an embarrassment of a human being.

I'm primarily speaking to Mexicans and Samoans who I've heard this from.

Which is why I acknowledge being an American, first and foremost.

I'm also now proficient in Samoan. 🖕🥴 And no, I didn't practice. It just came out of nowhere after my stepfathers passing.

He taught me.

• 2 months ago

Yes. When you naturally THINK in a language, that language is part of your identity.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I do use the English language daily, even professionally. I suppose I do feel that way, a little.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.