What’s the legality of a Model T on a public street.?

Me and my grandpa were driving a Model T on a public streets without the knowing the legality of it. Is it legal to drive it on a normal road without side mirrors, tail lights, and tags? (We are going to add side mirrors because that is straight up dangerous)

• zipper

NO TAGS< NOT LEGAL! Tail lights not legal in most states: now it all depends on the state your in, and being we do not know that we can not really answer you correctly on all issues.

As long as it is properly registered and insured, it is legal. I know the A had a single stop light, not sure on the T. I would suggest retrofitting one if not. Hand signals are required.... anyone who has a motorcycle license had to learn hand signals as many older ones had no turn signals. Not that anyone would understand them, but that's the way the law works. You are even legal to drive a vehicle with an inoperative turn signal, as long as you have turn signals, it still must have brake lights if they came equipped.

• Anon10 months agoReport

Its true that many motorcycles had no signals until 1960. BUT, I was Never tested on them for my motorcycle endorsement. I've been tested in CA and AZ, No hand signal. Just describe controls, do a figure 8 slalom past cones, don't put foot down.

Its not true of the "must haves" answers here so long as the state has issued a title and tags its legal on the road.. No brake lights turn signals?? Use the legally required hand signals. No headlights or marker lights/reflectors of any kind? Unless the last title was from a bazillion years ago the state would not issue a title if it didn't have them. Then you got good old common sense. If others can't see you at night ya don't drive it.

This comes up every so often..

Due to Grandfather Laws that apply in all states (I assume you mean the US?), if the vehicle has all safety gear present When manufactured; it is street and hiway legal in 2019.

It needs registration, a license, yes.Your Ford came with tail lights, all did. (Just not Brake lights until maybe 1917.) Some were oil lamps. I suggest you replace them. All Ford taillights were reflectors, too. Even Amish buggies need rear reflectors. Adding mirrors is an excellent idea, although not required. Clamp 'em on, don't drill holes.

We have a gaggle of Model "T"s, A's, Auburns on our freeway going to the Dillinger Days, downtown, in Feb. Safest to be in a group in R lane with those triangle reflectors, but law says they don't have to do that. Most regular drivers of Ford "T" 's "electrify" them. Battery, starter, generator, electric lights.(not those who show them where they have to be 100% authentic.) I've seen 1910 "T"'s with electric headlamps.

"Hiway speeds"? I've seen trucks with trailers legally limited to 55 on a 75 MPH freeway. You can go as slow as you Want. In fact, it's illegal to try to do posted speed, if your vehicle and conditions unsafe to do so.  My '86 Toy, I dont push over 65. Modern motorcycles are freeway legal with 15 GBHp (or 125 cc, now) or better. Model "T"s  are 20 Hp. Not that a "T" or a 125 is Recommended on  I-10, but law sez, Legal.

Source(s): REF: Know a lot in old car clubs.They all agree on this for ALL states. Some of my family is from Mennonite town in KS, lotsa buggy traffic. If the lies about a old cars on the street were true; they'd need safety glass, 4 wheel brakes, signals. mirrors, as well as electric lamps, brake lites, and a turbo to get over 45...all Rubbish. My daddy grew up driving "T''s, he showed me how to start /drive one, scrape bearings,tickle coils, etc..
    • curmudgeon55

Federal interstate hiway motorcycle limit is 150 cc, need to be 151 cc to get on interstate. 125cc is european class break with some restrictions, USA has the 150cc federal class break from 'Motor driven cycle' to' motorcycle'

The answer depends on where you live. Check with the local police and also the state police. Doing both makes sure someone doesn't give you bad info.

I would NOT risk it being demolished in a wreck, not to meteor no seat belts, and risk of personal injury. It should be driven only in parades.

• P & W10 months agoReport

At least you Hillbilly dont   lie about legality. No one can debate  how unsafe a T is.

i would ask the dmv about it

• Anon10 months agoReport

Better than made up Lies...

• Eva

No it's not. Anything driven on the street must have tags. You'll have to check the laws in your state regarding the requirements for antiques, but you certainly can't drive at night without tail lights.

• JetDoc

A lot depends on WHERE those public streets are... Some states allow antique vehicles to display age appropriate license plates, while others require more modern tags. If you're going to drive after dark you WILL need head and tail lights.

• P & W10 months agoReport

Yes, This was when it was fairly New. GGgrandpa J. was from the old country. Came over in 1885.

• Murzy

If it has QQ Classic Car tags, it's ok.