Can I be taken to court for not paying all the money on a car that I have not signed for but have put money down on?..?

I was in the process of buying a car for $6,500 from a guy. I told him through FB/Text I d buy the car. I drove 2 hours away. Test drove the car. Verbally agreed to buy. Chose to do a digital transaction ,Apple Pay. After sending $2,500 we spoke in the car, and I checked the paper work. NO TITLE. I asked about the title, he said it was an insurance write off, I d have to apply for one. I then decided not to buy car. He refused to return my $2,500. I did not sign any papers. He said he s going to take me to court. Is that possible? & Would I be able to get my money back if I took him to court?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why did you put money down on a car without seeing a valid title? You had no proof it was his property to sell. He did not keep his end of the bargain.

Don't worry about the court thing. Trump says that all the time. There must be a way through Apple to do a reversal on that transaction. Look into it. It is cyber-money. It is not in his account immediately.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I would call the local POLICE and report this, no title the sale in most states would be illegal.

• 2 months ago

Why did you put money down on a car without seeing a valid title? You had no proof it was his property to sell. You may be out the payment, but you can talk to an attorney to see what you can do, if anything.

• 2 months ago

Legally yes! He made no disclosure that the vehicle had no title! I sincerely hope that whatever method of payment you used what is an escrow company and not one that gave him the cash before you completed the transaction. Although you might get a judgement in your favor you'll probably never see your money again! If it would have been me my friend I would have hosed the person down with a 1 pound can of wildfire pepper spray and then beat the living dog crap out of the person until he provided me some money and then I probably would have made sure. He never did that to another person again. If you get my drift. Nobody is going to steal my money and then laugh at me. If I can't get my money I'm going to get a piece of his *** a big piece!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

He would not win if he sued you. You can sue him for the $2500 and you have a good chance of winning.

Collecting on the other hand....not so easy.

You can try the police but don't hold your breath. Probably a civil matter.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you want legal advice, go talk to a lawyer. Next time have the LEGAL title signed by the LEGAL owner in your hand BEFORE any money is exchanged.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You were a total dumbass to put money down for a car without a title. Get a lawyer ASAP and take the fraudster to court. If you have any documentation at all of what happened - email, text messages, Facebook or Instagram exchanges, etc, you should be able to bury that azzhole.

• 2 months ago

anything is possible

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

There are several options -

You could sue him for a return of the deposit. A Judge will determine whether or not your oral agreement was binding. You can't reach an agreement and make a deposit and then add a condition ("valid title") in SOME States. If you are in a State which requires valid title, then you can walk away - he's in default.

Where is the car? He can't sue you for something he still has. He CAN sue you for diminished value if you "owned it" long enough for the value to diminish.

If you cancel the down payment he can sue you for fraud.

• DONALD2 months agoReport

No I couldn't cancel the down payment.

He still has the car. But no, I only test drove it for about 15 minutes (if that).

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Have Apple Pay reverse the payment.

• DONALD2 months agoReport

I tried, but in order for that to happen, He would have to email them to have it reversed, which he's refused to do..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.