Anna
Lv 5
Anna asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Where do dogs go in planes?

I live in the UK and have been on holiday (vacation) many times and have never once seen a dog or any animal on a plane but I was coming home from Spain with my boyfriend and his family today and I saw a pet dog and its owners past security at the airport. My boyfriends mum was surprised as she didn't know dogs were allowed to fly. I had heard of it in America but hadn't seen it happen in Europe before. It wasn't on my flight but I wondered where would it go, would it go in the cabin with its owners or would it go in the cargo?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

Other than small dogs who, mainly on short domestic flights, can be allowed to travel in a soft crate under the owner's seat, dogs travel in the hold - in a specially pressurised/heated area. And this does happen with flights from the UK into Europe. I travelled with a puppy I'd bred, who was sold to people in Geneva, Switzerland - he was 4 months and travelled in cargo from London Gatwick.

Dogs flying back or into the UK must come with a Pet Passport these days, or they will have to go into quarantine. When we bought our lot back on our return to the UK, it was before PP, and they went into quarantine. In fact we sent them out a few days ahead of us so we could concentrate on clearing up, without upsetting them.

However you won't find dogs/pets flying on one of the cheapie airlines (Ryanair, Easyjet etc).

Source(s): We have travelled various hounds both ways across the Atlantic between London and Toronto, Canada.
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depending on the size, most would go in cargo. A few might be small enough to put in a carrier that goes under the seat in cabin.

• 2 months ago

• "Where do dogs go in planes?"

A dog in a plane goes EXACTLY where the plane goes, Anna!

Unlike bats and most birds (plus some seeds such as dandelions), dogs have not developed any limbs or structures that can develop enough lift to let them fly where THEY want to go.

Wodderyameen, that's not what you meant? (Innocent stare🤓....)

• "I wondered where would it go, would it go in the cabin with its owners or would it go in the cargo?"

As [Cassidy], [GIRL], [granny], [Nathan], and [Maxi] have told you, it DEPENDS.

💠It depends on how BIG the pooch is.

🔸It depends on whether the dog is registered for a task (such as a guide dog) accepted in the places at the start and finish of the flight.

🔹It depends on the size of the plane the dog is to travel on.

So if you ever want to fly a dog somewhere, you will need to contact some freight organisers and work out with them which categories your pet fits into and which airlines will have space for you & it on the days that suit you to fly. and today's charges etc are likely to be different to what will apply once BrExit is over - currently set for 3 days after my next birthday. Hmmm - https://ratiocinativa.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/a-s... "a gale, wind and slush and rain and hail" were I, like you, living where my Scottish, Welsh, English (with a touch of Irish - hey, her aunt married one of the Prince Edwards!) and English-via-Australia greatgreatgrandparents were born.

The 5 GSDs my wife & I imported from Britain & Germany flew in cargo crates in the cargo hold - I think the planes they used were chartered flights carrying ONLY livestock - cats, dogs, horses, and possibly whatever other animals were being imported from Britain to New Zealand. The GSD stud and the GSD bïtch (from my early litters) that flew to Australia, and the German GSD bïtch that flew to Australia to be mated to a German stud then fly back to us to whelp, and the pet GSD male (from a later litter) that flew to the USA all flew in crates in the cargo area.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

• 2 months ago

cargo compartment but I saw a passenger with a dog in Scandinavia and she told me small dog (7 kg was the max at the time) can be with travelers (forgotten either on the knee or on feet) in Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

where the flight artend sits ha ha

• 2 months ago

Most international flights don't allow pets. If they do they are are most always in cargo.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I saw dogs on airplanes all the time when I was in Europe. In fact, several larger dogs were in the passenger section but did not appear to be service dogs or emotional support animals.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Assistance or guide dogs can travel in the cabin with you on the majority of flights. You will usually find that both the person and their dog will be placed on the front row, leaving your dog plenty of space to lie-down.Other dogs will be stored with the luggage (usually in a designated area to avoid stress) and are registered as luggage

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I'd not want a dog with me in the cabin in a crate under my seat, on a long-haul flight. I suppose a tiny dog would be ok tho.

• 2 months ago

Service Dogs & ESAs are accommodated in the cabin. Small breeds that can fit into a crate that can be placed at your feet for flight are allowed in cabin. Large dogs in cabin must stay on the floor but the legroom is often too small to get a large dog into the seats.

In my opinion, airlines do not accommodate these dogs very well. I traveled with a Dalmatian ESA & it was difficult with her in the seating areas. I could have put her in a kennel & she would have traveled in the cargo area but the second plane was too small for a crate that size.

For all the information you need, contact the airline you are flying with & they will give you all the information you need & they will inform you of all the rules, laws, & regulations. So some can travel in-cabin & others have to go into cargo. The airlines will be the most informative.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i think they go under the plane

• Tony
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Do not be so rude Judith. It is unnecessary. No wonder you've been banned from flying by most major airlines.

• Henry
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

They must take the teleporter. I don't think they are put in the carry-on!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.