Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

What happens if a non-depressed person takes antidepressants?

My psychiatrist prescribed me an antidepressant for severe panic attacks and anxiety. I'm thinking of not taking them because according to my research, they cause suicidal thoughts. I already have really bad anxiety, I don't need suicidal thoughts.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes no one wants to have suicidal thoughts. Medicines and pills are only temporary solutions to your situation. Go for the permanent solution. Only Jesus Christ, the Living God, can heal you of depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Call on Him. Ask for forgiveness and repent. Ask Him to heal you and you will see His mighty hand totally removing your panic attacks, anxiety and depression. God is our healer. Believe. In Jesus Christ's name.

• In
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If you are having anxiety attacks then you NEED to be on antidepressants. The suicides reported are a symptom of untreated or unsuccessfully treated depression, and not the drug itself. If you did thorough research you should have seen that the underlying depression is due to a deficiency of the neurotransmitter Serotonin in the synaptic gaps of your central nervous system. Most modern antidepressants are in the class of SSRI's, or Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, and they help to preserve the serotonin your body produces naturally to maintain normal nervous system function. Stick with your prescribed medication and you will notice improvement over the course of a month or so.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Anti-depressants are often prescribed for anxiety problems, because they help with anxiety. You don't have to be depressed to take them, just anxious.

While some drugs do cause suicidal ideation in SOME people, they do not do so in MOST people. It happens most often in depressed people, who, as they start to feel better but are still depressed, may develop the energy they didn't have before to carry out a suicide plan. That's not your situation.

Try the medication. It may well work for you. If it doesn't, there are other medications that may work. Keep your doctor advised of the results, of how you are feeling.

• 2 months ago

Medication is depressing in itself. The world is on Benzos and Opiates and it is becoming a suicidal generation.,

The only one benefiting from medication is The Pharmaceutical Companies. Your body is made to heal itself. So put good food in your body instead of junk and you won't need drugs.

Anxiety is FEAR. War makes fear. Negative thoughts produce fear. Until you know the One who gives you that peace that surpasses all understanding, you will have negative thoughts and FEAR. Fear is not trusting God.

Anxiety and Depression is not trusting God. You don't really believe what God has promised. You doubt and doubt is sin. Fear is sin. It is written, "As a man thinks - so is he." You are what you think and a lot of people have stinking thinking because they don't know Jesus. They think Science has done away with God and God is not relevant. We have the Society Today that this negative wrong thinking has caused.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Forget about your "research". Anti-depressants are often prescribed to treat anxiety.

You're NOT going to have "suicidal thoughts" if you take anti-depressants in the manner and dosage in which they are prescribed. When you first begin taking them, it's going to take at least 7 to 10 days before they "kick in". The people who have suicidal thoughts are those who consistently "double up" on their medication, with the idea that will make them "work faster".

• Vortex
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You most likely would feel tired and sleepless. It is not going to help non existent depression. It may cause some cognitive changes in a depressed or not depressed person.

• 2 months ago

Why didn't you consult your doctor about this???

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would just talk to your doctor about it

• 2 months ago

Anti-depressants can also treat anxiety and OCD.

With any medication, its about finding a fine balance and sometimes when this balance isn't found, you can suffer the side effects which, in the case of anti-depressants, can sometimes be feeling suicidal.

They ARE worth trying because they CAN help. However, they take 4-8 weeks to kick in, and often at the start can make you feel worse rather than better. There is also multiple types of Anti-depressants, some will work for you, some will not. Its about finding that fine balance of medication type, and dosage.

I hope this snippet of information helps. Remember, anything that might help is worth trying.

• 2 months ago

Then you won't have them. antidepressants are supposed to be for your depression. A tendency for suicide is estimated by the doctor. If he thought you were likely to pass into psychosis, he would not give them. Be confident your doctor is looking out for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.