Quynh-nhu Phan asked in PetsCats · 4 months ago

Does anyone know what type of cat this is? I’m pretty sure she’s hypoallergenic. https://www.flickr.com/photos/184435765@N02/?

Favorite Answer

Unless you have papers to prove otherwise it's just a domestic longhair - no breed or mix like over 97% of cats.

There IS such a thing as hypoallergenic. That only means LESS likely to cause allergic reactions not NON allergenic. Some cats can cause less allergic reactions than others. The only breeds that are supposedly less allergy inducing are the Siberian and the Rex breeds - Cornish, Selkirk, Devon. Contrary to what some may think hairless cats the Sphynx are MOST likely to trigger reactions since people are allergic to a protein in dander NOT fur.

Ironically the breed she looks most like because of her coat and eye shape would be the RagaMuffin. I happen to have one and she is the only cat I've ever had that I react the MOST to! I have to take Flonase almost daily or I get near asthmatic symptoms when I go to bed and she's next to me.

NO such thing as a hypoallergenic cat. All cats shed dander which is what you are allergic to. Its a no breed 100% mutt cat

• ZotsRule

Hypoallergenic only means LESS likely to cause allergic reactions. So there ARE cats that have less of the protein that gets on the dander that they shed. Hypoallergenic is not NON allergenic.

• Laura

There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic cat.

This is a standard domestic longhair cat with calico coloring.

• Ocimom

There are NO hypoallergenic cats or dogs. There are cats and dogs that shed less then normal but there is no guarantee you will not still be allergic.

Its a picture of a domestic longhair - I highly doubt it sheds less then a normal cat.

"I’m pretty sure she’s hypoallergenic."

I'm pretty sure you're a nitwit.

Theres no such thing as a "hypoallergenic" cat.

Its a domestic longhair.. A generic cat that has no breed

• *****

Just an ordinary Domestic Long Hair. Definitely not "hypoallergenic".

could be part Norwegian forest cat....but their ears are different...I do think that I read somewhere that longhaired cats, in general, are less allergenic...

• ZotsRule

That's also COMPLETE BS that "longhaired cats, in general, are less allergenic". The length of a cat's coat has NOTHING to do with it. I'm HIGHLY allergic to only one cat I have ever owned and she is a RagaMuffin with a VERY long, full coat.

• Ron

It's a standard issue calico and is in no way hypoallergenic

• She is calico (the colors) but that’s not her breed. My mom and I are allergic to cats, but we never reacted to her.