Can a landlord use an ach withdrawal from a checking account?

I help this elderly lady write out her bills and she signs the checks. I have helped her for ten years. For the first time in ten years her landlord took her rent payment as an ACH withdrawal ( she always paid with a check) Her utilities are done that way she has no problem with it , but the landlords?? Can they... show more I help this elderly lady write out her bills and she signs the checks. I have helped her for ten years.
For the first time in ten years her landlord
took her rent payment as an ACH withdrawal ( she always paid with a check)
Her utilities are done that way she has no problem with it , but the landlords??
Can they do this??
I tried to ask this question earlier and withdrew it because of trying to word it right.
Update: This lady pays all her bills on time and she downsized from her house to this apartment. I do NOT see a problem with it too, but this landlord has a reputation of being shady. There's no problem with her paying her bills because she is comfortable financially. Its a sad situation because she has bad arthritis... show more This lady pays all her bills on time and she downsized from her house to this apartment. I do NOT see a problem with it too, but this landlord has a reputation of being shady. There's no problem with her paying her bills because she is comfortable financially. Its a sad situation because she has
bad arthritis and she may end up living with one of children. I will miss her
because she is a sweetheart.
Update 2: Its NOT a new apartment or landlord.
They did this to her this month only. She's going to call one of her children
to check into this..
I never heard of a landlord doing this without the tenants permission to do so.