Can a landlord use an ach withdrawal from a checking account?

I help this elderly lady write out her bills and she signs the checks. I have helped her for ten years.

For the first time in ten years her landlord

took her rent payment as an ACH withdrawal ( she always paid with a check)

Her utilities are done that way she has no problem with it , but the landlords??

Can they do this??

I tried to ask this question earlier and withdrew it because of trying to word it right.

Update:

This lady pays all her bills on time and she downsized from her house to this apartment. I do NOT see a problem with it too, but this landlord has a reputation of being shady. There's no problem with her paying her bills because she is comfortable financially. Its a sad situation because she has

bad arthritis and she may end up living with one of children. I will miss her

because she is a sweetheart.

Update 2:

Its NOT a new apartment or landlord.

They did this to her this month only. She's going to call one of her children

to check into this..

I never heard of a landlord doing this without the tenants permission to do so.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, landlords are allowed to do that and in many cases do.

However, the payee (renter) has to sign a form allowing for it to happen. If that form hasn't been signed, then he shouldn't be doing it. Ask the landlord to see the signed form allowing the withdrawal.

• 3 months ago

What's the big deal?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Eva
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Anyone can be paid with an ACH withdrawal. The landlord may be electronically processing any checks he receives. The landlord cannot initiate an ACH withdrawal otherwise.

• 3 months ago

It sounds like you were not part of reviewing her lease agreement at the new apartment.

She would have to have agreed with this and arranged it. The new landlord wouldn't even know the correct information to setup the ACH if someone hadn't told them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

They ave no way to do it unless she signed up previously anyway.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

She would have to have agreed with this and arranged it. No one can take money out of someone's account.

I don't see any harm in it, it makes sure the rent is paid in time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.