Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 10 months ago

My roommate was in a hit and run last night. Will she be issued a citation by police, or caught?

I'm asking for her since she does not have an account here.

She told me she was entering the left turn lane with her blinker on. A painter van in the middle lane entered the left turn lane and hit the back end of her passenger side, leaving a scrape/scuff. No major damage. Even though she did not cause the accident she drove away from the scene, and disappeared into traffic on the main road. The van did not follow.

Would she still get a citation or be arrested for leaving, even though she didnt cause the accident? She thinks the van driver didn't have any time to gather her info. I'd also like to add in that most painters/contractors around here do not speak english so we're hoping there's a chance he didn't know what to do. Should she expect a ticket, phone call? Or will the cops let it go since there was no major damage?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • D50
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

It sounds like no one cares and nothing will happen.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

ANY STATE in the UNITED STATES .. HIT AND RUN is what she did and it is a FELONY.. IF she did not trade info and etc. with the other involved SHE WILL BE THE ONE FOUND GUILTY AND AT FAULT as SHE LEFT THE SCENE.. IT IS A FELONY IN EVERY STATE.. YES IF they find her she WILL BE ARRESTED, PUT IN JAIL, and Have to post bail etc. to get pout and go to court.

UNBLESS SHE IS A ILLEGAL... THE THE DEMOCRITS will free her, drop charges and give her free medical care and other free benefits for ILLEGALLY coming to the states and they WILL BLAME TRUMP for it.

• 10 months ago

I would convince your roommate to fess up to the police... You never know of other witnesses who saw the accident or took down her license plate. How would SHE feel if someone did that to her? If she does not fess up to the Crime (of hit and run), which is a crime, then you should contact the police. If you don't, then you are as guilty as she is, and you could get in trouble with the law. It is considered AIDING AND ABETTING a criminal.

• 10 months ago

In theory, she is guilty of leaving the scene. You left out EVERYTHING needed to make an educated guess if she will be cited, most of which SHE doesn't know.

Unless someone see enough to identify her and reported it to law enforcement, she won't be cited.

If the diver of the van suspect they would be cited for the collision, they probably drove on and didn't file a report either.

Without knowing where, we can't say if law enforcement would actually cite her if they knew everything that happened.

Note: for the purpose of this answer, I am accepting your 2nd hand account as accurate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

The driver of the van would have to report the accident to police for anything to happen. As you suggest, the driver of the van may have reasons not to want to call the police.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

She might get a citation for leaving the scene of an accident. there's a big difference with being charged with Hit and run and leaving the scene of an accident. Hit and run is when you hit somebody and then run away to avoid prosecution. If you get hit and don't stop. The worst thing that they can do to you is charged you with leaving the scene of an accident.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Actually, by law, there is NO SUCH THING as hit and run. Leaving the scene is the charge. Causing the collision is a separate offense.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Will they catch her? That depends on information none of us know.

If they catch her she can expect a ticket. You are required by law to stop, it doesn't matter who is at fault. You can bet the other driver will say she was at fault.

Lv 7
    10 months ago

Once you call your auto insurance company to report the accident, there may be some repercussions.

• Mandy
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

I couldn’t care less what happens to her. She should stay off the road.

• 10 months agoReport

There is no need to be rude. Answer the question like a civil adult.

• 10 months ago

If your "roommate" lives in Zimbabwe then no, she needn't worry about further action by police.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.