Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 10 months ago

Would it be seriously weird if, when we get married, I wear a wedding dress but Laura has a fitted man's style suit?

I really would like to wear a dress for my wedding but Laura isn't keen on one. She has said she would quite like to have a suit in which to get married instead. We are getting hitched next week but are having a 2nd ceremony in the UK in November - she would want the suit for then.

• Foofa

Wear whatever you both like. Plenty of women wear suits for their weddings...and plenty of Scottish men wear skirts ;-)

Are you a man or a woman? That would depend on my answer.

That would be awesome. Some people would think it’s weird — but I’m assuming they’re not invited.

• Trish

I think its a bad idea and I wouldnt want my family... Children to see it.

• BeatriceBatten

If your kids absolutely lose their minds over seeing a woman in pants or a man in a dress, or a same sex marriage, then it’s not the clothes or the marriage that’s the problem here. And it’s almost never the kids who care about this sort of thing ... most kids will say “oh ok. So where’s the cake?”

It's your wedding; you can wear whatever you want.

Just be aware that you get ONE wedding. The UK one won't be a wedding, as you'll already be married.

• Lv 6

Yes we are aware of that , it just gives all those who weren't at the real thing a chance to witness another exchange of vows. We just want to make sure there are no hidden resentments later for what we have done...

The couple can decide what they wear.

You will do what you will, but a wedding is a ceremony usually taken seriously by the bride and groom, the bride's maids and the groomsmen and the families of the couple. I guess I could just be an old fogey, but some of the people you love very much might think the cross dressing would be inappropriate. Think of them too.

• Foofa

Shona, Jack apparently missed the subtext that you're a same gender couple ;-)

• God

It's yours and Laura's day. Wear whatever you two want. Congratulations!

Nope, not weird at all, go with what feels right. It will be your day.

• Alex

Not really. I've seen it many times.

Remember that a wedding if for the both of you and that you both need to do what makes the two of you happy.

If she wants to wear a suit and is fine with you wearing a dress...Do what's comfy and enjoy your day.