Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

1. How do you this '€1400' in speech?

Is it:

a) "one thousand and four hundred Euros"

Or

b) "fourteen hundred Euros"

2. If both are correct, which is the most common way of saying?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In Britain it is most likely "Fourteen hundred euros", but some people might sat "One thousand four hundred euros". In the USA universally "Fourteen hundred euros".

Indeed never "One thousand and four hundred euros". But in Britain etc "One thousand, four hundred and twenty four euros", or "Fourteen hundred and twenty four euros", where Americans would say "Fourteen hundred twenty four euros" - omitting the "and".

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You don't say "and".

Either:

One thousand, four hundred Euros.

Or

Fourteen hundred Euros.

• 2 months ago

You can say either 'fourteen hundred euros' or 'one thousand four hundred euros'.

We use 'and' only for the smaller numbers at the end of a total, eg $1,400,073 - in British English we say 'One million four hundred thousand and seventy three dollars'. In American English they don't use 'and' at all in figures.

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Both are absolutely fine, although we would be unlikely to include the word "and" in A, instead using a brief verbal pause as if there was a comma.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is b) although both are correct

• 2 months ago

Both are correct, but I find option b (2nd one) easier to say. Option a (1st one) is a bit too long and the person listening might lose patience or stop paying attention.

• 2 months ago

I'd say a is correct

Don't usually use hundred like that.

Thousands thats different 20 000 twenty thousand would be how you would say that

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

People say both.

There's no 'and' in the first one, though. "one thousand four hundred euros" or "fourteen hundred euros".

They're both equally used.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.