Will rust develop from parking a car outside during winter?

I live in Northern Illinois, so our winters are bad... I want an '06 Pontiac GTO and I won't be driving it at all in the winter (probably). I also don't have a garage... If I don't drive it at all on the salty roads, will it not rust? I'll still wash underneath it when snow starts to melt anyway. I'll probably also at least start it once a day and let it run. Just don't want to ruin a nice car.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Storage seems too expensive unless I can pull some strings and get someone I know to help me out.

Best Answer

So - it's a rebadged Holden made in Australia with a Corvette engine. Nice ride, but I've no idea of the conditions Holden built it for. At the least, sitting outside in a Midwest winter will cause brakes to corrode......won't be good for the paint, water will be driven into every opening, critters will nest under the hood - possibly enter the engine air intakes, exhaust system, the interior will get musty/moldy from condensation as temps change, water freezing and thawing will open joints, etc. etc. Alarmist ?? I'm in Ohio and that's what happens to my cars parked IN A GARAGE over the winter. If at all possible, find a dry auto storage facility.......it should be jacked-up enough to raise the tires off the floor to avoid rot and flat spots . . . . exhaust pipes and air intake stuffed with steel wool . . . . critter repellent such as moth balls in the interior . . . battery removed or on a tender . . . . fresh fluids, etc. etc.

• Alex

Ok, I'm moving to Arizona. Haha, thanks for the answer.

• JetDoc

Yes, your car WILL rust from sitting outside and being exposed to harsh winter freeze/thaw weather conditions. Starting it once a day and letting it run for a few minutes could cause more damage than it helps. If it's going to sit for the entire winter, prep it for storage, remove the battery and leave it alone.

At this point a 2006 Pontiac GTO isn't a classic or collector's car and not valuable enough to justify the expense for indoor storage for the winter.

• Alex

I'm just gonna get a cheap one with a lot of miles then. No point in me getting one with under 50k until I can afford a house with a garage. Thanks for the answer.

Not so much anymore. As part of car manufacturers efforts to make the car lighter, they make the rocker panels(that is the part under the doors out of plastic. Plastic don't rust. During the cold of winter there is no water on the ground and water is what makes the car metal rust. They use less salt these days and that reduces the chance of rusting. So rusting occurs mostly while the snow is slushy or wet. Automanufacturers are offering a 5 year no rust through warranty so they can make it so that cars do not rust. My one old car had an aluminum hood, a metal which does not rust. If you keep it clean it takes longer to rust. Eventually stuff does rust because some parts are made of steel and that is what happens. No need to worry about starting once a day. A car battery has a life of 7ish years so you will be replacing this battery probably this winter or summer of 2020(when you are working and can afford another $100 battery.) Plan on it.Before it does die on you in the dead of winter around Xmas time...the time when work is slow and bills are high. You can get a car cover though I do not know if that is the best way to go. I use either in my driveway outside. What is the difference if it is driven in the snow. It is the salt that hurts. If it is really cold then there is no liquid water. Let the snow act as a blanket over the car. Starting it once a day WILL DRAIN THE BATTERY as an idling car does not recharge the battery. Car engine are mainly aluminum so there is nothing to rust inside. I left my car alone for over a year, and the battery was still at the top of its game.

• Alex

Seems like around here they spend the cities entire budget on salt. Then, they have no money to fix all the pot holes that it helps cause. I just live in car hell. Thanks for the answer.

• 💜

Put a car cover over if

• Alex

Thanks for the answer. I kind of forgot about those. I feel like that might trap moisture inside though. I'll have to research more.